Chapter 9

Once we arrived in New York, Dylan swayed and collapsed onto his knees.

"You okay?" I asked unconcerned as I sat him on a nearby bench.

"Really tired and thirsty." His skin was unusually pale for someone so tanned.

"Here, eat this." I ordered, handing him cup yoghurt.

"Thank you." He said between mouthfuls.

"You're not welcome; we have to finish this mission soon so hurry up."

"I'm done!" he announced throwing the empty cup in a bin and jumping up.

"Let's go, we have to get to the EmpireState and clean up a few things there."

"Do we mist?" he asked.

"Oh no, misting is too hard and walking to the empire state would be so short."

"Okay! I get the picture."

Finally! I thought he would never catch on.

In another poof of silver mist we were on top of the EmpireState. The sky was a dark indigo streaked with red as the sun was starting to rise.

"Wow, this is cool." Dylan murmured beside me. I nodded stiffly in agreement. I caught him looking at me and I looked away immediately as my stomach did somersaults.

"Jayde?" Dylan asked timidly, "If I said that I liked you what would you do?"

"Well that depends." I replied, "If you were dared by the others then I would think you weak and childish. If you are curious then I would ignore the question."

"What if I meant it?"

"Well that would be a problem for you since my feelings don't change when I'm around you, except the stomach thing which I'm getting now."

"So if I asked you out would you say yes?"

"What do you think?" I said looking out over the balcony.

"That's the problem; I don't know what to think. I don't get any signs that you like or dislike me anymore."

"Well I can tell you right now that I would say no." I said in a final tone.

He walked over to me and slowly lifted my hand; I looked at him with icy narrowed eyes, wondering what he was doing. Then he lifted my hand to his lips and kissed it.

"I do love you." He said simply.

For the first time in my life I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. Nothing in the training of a Shadow ever covers this sort of area, for the first time in my life I had no clue what to do. Finally, after what seemed like years, I was able to talk.

"Okay! Out with the truth! Did Daemon or Wayland dare you? I guess PC or Denny might be guilty too, but it's probably one of the main suspects." I turned back to Dylan. "Seriously, who was it?"

"No one! I do love you!" Dylan cried exasperated.

"And I do not believe it for one second, tell me who it is and you will be able to go back to the institute in one piece." I threatened.

"Can't you just believe that maybe there's one person who considers you to be beautiful, clever, strong and his whole world?"

"No."

"But..."

"No Dylan."

Then I heard a rough male voice behind us.

"Aw, come on girl, he's telling the truth."

"Why not tell him yes and have a good time?" A higher female voice purred. "I would."

"I'm not sure about these two, guys. Play it easy." Another male voice said.

"Always worried aren't you?" A second female voice complained.

"I'm not; I'm just getting a bad feeling about them."

"You get a bad feeling about everything." A third male voice groaned.

 Then the first male voice said, "By the way, you two are surrounded."