Chapter 24

"What are you doing here?" I snarled at Dylan. He turned around, shock clear on his face.

"I could ask you the same thing." He replied, eyeing my duffel bag and backpack.

"It's none of your business, so go away."

"Wow, I thought this was a free country."

"Shut up, and go away. And if you tell anyone about this then I will come back and beat you into non-existence."

"Come back? You mean you're leaving?"

"There's nothing for me here. Why should I stay when I hate everyone here?"

"No! You can't leave! I will not allow it!"

"Stop wasting my time, you can't fight me!"

"I can, but I don't want to."

"You wouldn't last a minute!"

"Would you like to bet?"

"Three, two, one, aller!" I dropped my bags, and jumped as he ran at me, but this time he was ready for me, so he grabbed my foot, making me slam into the floor. I felt a chill rock my body as he tried to give me a koald touch, but I quickly broke free and kicked him in the gut. He staggered back, clutching his stomach, but stood up straight again, ready for my next move. I shot fyre at him, but he dodged the icy flames and grabbed my by surprise, pulling me into an arm lock. He forced me sit down on one of the deck chairs, holding my arms against my back. I felt him rest his head oven my shoulder, his breathing heavy and fast.

"Why do you keep getting me in arm locks?"

"It's the easiest way for me to beat someone."

"Fine, but Dylan?" I said oh so sweetly.

"Yes?" He was suspicious.

"I can still mist." I turned to silver cloud and slipped through his hold.

"Damn!" He tried to catch me again, but his hands only connected with air. I scooped up my bags and went over to him.

"It's not really you, it's them." I said, and I kissed him on the cheek in a silent good bye.

"Please don't go. For me. Please stay with me." He begged, standing in the middle of the roof, not moving to stop me anymore.

"I'm sorry Dylan, but I don't want to stay here any longer." I murmured, pulling him into a hug, and I made myself vanish in a puff of silver smoke.

I ended up misting to the top of the EmpireStateBuilding. I looked around, checking for any people who might've seen me. No one was there, but then why would they be? It was eleven freaking thirty at night! I looked over the balcony, watching the New York nightlife. I didn't feel anything now. I had left the institute, the place that had been my home for more or less my whole life, but I didn't feel anything. I felt emotionless, cold, I was completely sane of course and completely physically capable, but I felt nothing. I tried poking myself with a fingernail, it hurt like it normally would, but I didn't completely feel it, even when I drew a few drops of pearly white blood.

I picked up my bags and misted down to a nearby alleyway. Once more I checked for any witnesses, but still no one. I didn't let that stop me from sensing that someone was following me.

I ended up going to a really shabby, run down hotel that was nice enough on the outside, but very plain on the inside. I walked up to the receptionist and asked for a room. He must have been pretty desperate for customers or dates since he kept commenting on my looks. Don't get me wrong, he looked cute, but I didn't care anymore. I got a room on the top floor, one bed, a bathroom, a TV, a desk and a closet. Everything was a weird beige colour, the walls, the sheets, the curtains and even the freaking carpet! As soon as I had unpacked my clothes, I put on the first items of sleepwear I touched, a tank top and some cut-off sweat pants, and I fell asleep with silent tears running down my face.

I dreamed of catching Daemon and Kat making out, then as I was about to kick Daemon, the scene changed to the first time I had met Capricorn. He looked the same, but a bit younger, and I ran up to him and hugged him, like I used to. The only father I had ever known. Then my dream changed again, but I was still hugging someone, only this time it was Dylan. I let go quickly, but I felt suddenly empty without him. The scene changed again so that I was now in the grounds of the institute and looking at all of my friends. They were training for fun, in the snow, laughing. I made myself turn away from them, and then I woke up.

"What do you mean 'she left'? No one can leave the Shadows without leave from the elders!"

"I'm sorry. I tried to stop her, but she misted!" Dylan was in the common room. It was morning and Jayde was well and truly gone. He had been found by Wayland on top of the Institute, sleeping on the floor. Then he had come down to the common room to deliver the news to everyone.

"Why did she leave though?" Aiden wondered.

"Well, I think it was pretty obvious! Daemon cheated on her, so she's heartbroken, Kat was he best friend, so she feels betrayal, and we all had to stop her from killing them, which made her feel alone, because no one showed any understanding!" Dylan was furious with himself now. He had let her escape. He had let her go.

"Shut up Dylan! Just because you like her doesn't mean we all have to." Daemon snarled over Kat's shoulder.

"Well, we have to notify the elders immediately!" PC cut in.

"I'll go, Dylan told me enough details, besides you look like you need some serious rest dude." Wayland misted out of the door, leaving Dylan with the others.

"I just don't understand why she would want to leave though." Kat mumbled.

"Kat! Just shut up! You are one of the main reasons that Jay left!" All heads turned and stared at Ava. She had always been the quiet one out of the three girls, always the pacifist, always a good co-worker and a friend. Now she was on her feet, her hands were balled up into fists.

"Ava, please. It will not help. We must try to work together, as hard as it may be." Aiden put a hand on his twin's shoulder, gently forcing her to sit down.

"So what do we do?" Ava asked.

"We get her back." Dylan said.

I woke up at nine forty three according to the beige clock, beside the bed. I rolled over and slowly sat up on the bed. I still felt empty; all of my emotions had left me, and I had nothing left to feel because I had experienced them all. Well, the good thing is that you haven't been found yet I thought, sighing, Maybe they never will, I can always win. Looking outside, the sky was grey and dismal, reflecting my present mood. I got dressed, just a dark blue t-shirt, jeans and my converse, and taking my wallet, I headed over to a nearby cafe for breakfast.

As I waited for my mocha and grilled cheese sandwich, I felt someone watching me again. I looked around the busy café casually, no one was watching me, and everyone was just minding their own business. There were hardly any people in the café at all, just a man in a suit, three young teenage girls that were giggling every two seconds, and two boys around my age who were arguing quietly with each other. I took my order and left the café very quickly.

I got back to the hotel and ate my breakfast in front of the TV, on the bed, just flipping through the channels, nothing really catching my eye. I ended up watching a documentary on Greek mythology and religion. I didn't even get past the first minute when I heard a shout from the ground floor and a muffled gunshot. I turned the TV off and quickly ran around the room stuffing all of my clothes into my duffel. As soon as this was done I picked up my bags and ran towards the door, but too late. I stumbled backwards as the door swung open.

I froze as the two boys from the café broke through the doorway. Then they stopped too as they recognised me. I can't believe that I had missed them in the café, both of them were easily recognisable, and then it hit me. Their eyes were different.

"Sylvie?" Tom smirked as Zack grinned triumphantly.