Chapter 16

"I was almost frantic! I didn't know where you were and then I find out that you have been making out with Daemon on the roof when you two come down the stairs, giggling!" Kat cried in disbelief, bouncing on my bed. We were in my room, me trying to get ready for bed, and her trying to interview me about making out with Daemon. "And now you won't tell me what happened!"

"Kat, I seriously don't think that there's anything to tell." I called from my bathroom sink. I tried to dissuade her from questioning me more, but it didn't work.

"Please tell! I want to know!"

"How many guys have you kissed then?"

"Last time I checked it was around one hundred and sixty seven, but most are targets."

"Well then you should be able to get creative!" I said, and started brushing my teeth.

"It helps to know the details." She called back from my armchair.

"I'm sorry, I am currently unavailable, cleaning in progress, please wait." I said through a mouth of toothpaste.

"Fine, but I'm not about to forget this!" She said, still on my bed.

Yes! Always win! I thought as I rinsed my mouth, and brushed my hair.

"Okay, start spilling now!" Kat ordered when I stepped back into my room.

"What do you want to know?" I asked grudgingly.

"Well, one: what was it like kissing him, two: what was it like having your first kiss, and three: what do you like about him."

"Kat!" I moaned, but she shot me her I-won't-take-no-for-an-answer look, so I answered. "I thought that kissing him was great, having my first kiss was great, and I like him because he's not Dylan."

"Those aren't answers!"

"Yes, they are, take them, or leave them!"

"Fine, I'm taking, I'm taking!" she got off my bed and walked out of my room.

"Good night then." And I closed the door behind her. I changed into my pyjamas, just a small t-shirt and a light pair of shorts. That night I went to sleep dreaming of Daemon.

"Tell me what happened?! Don't lie! Tell me where they are!" a boy shouted at a small figure that was crumpled on the floor, his gold-red eyes burning with fury. The boy looked around the room at the dead bodies all lined up in a row, Adam Hades, Juliette Aphrodite, Max Ares, Peter Dionysus and Lauren Hera. All of them: dead, killed by the two sylvies.

"I'm sorry! I don't know any more! It's just what I saw!" sobbed the figure.

"Nathan, Tom's telling the truth! Just let him go!" A girl ran into the room and tried to hold the boy's arm back as he slapped the boy on the floor across the face. Nathan collapsed into a chair sobbing, as the girl did her best to comfort him.

"I can tell you that Tom is telling the truth. I checked the roof myself." the girl whispered, "I'm so sorry, I know you loved Lauren, but we can't do anything now."

"Grace, there's always something we can do. There's always an alternative."

"I'm sorry Nate", Tom said, standing up slowly, his right cheek slowly bruising, his forehead had a small cut on it.

"I got to the roof, and they were just lying there. I did everything I knew, but I couldn't..." Tom's voice cracked on the last word and he looked down, ashamed of his bad news.

"Listen to me Nate, you didn't know any better, if anyone is to blame then it's the sylvies. You are right, there is an alterative. We attack." The girl, Grace, announced in a harsh voice. She took out a phone and pressed speed dial.

"Jacob, tell everyone to get ready to attack the sylvies."

"Will do." A voice replied on the other end, and hung up.

"I want to do more than just attack", Nathan growled behind Grace as she hung up. "I want to kill them. I want revenge for their deaths!"

I went through the next day as if I was in a dream. I couldn't place the actual reason, but I felt as if something really bad was going to happen. If not to me then to the Darke, to my friends, to the Shadows. I didn't eat as much, I was always tense, and I couldn't rest. My day went by around me, but I didn't feel it pass. Even the others noticed that something was wrong with me.

"Jay, eat something." Kat ordered at lunch.

"I'm not hungry." I simply replied, leaving the common room.

"Jay, earth to Jay. What's wrong?" Wayland asked worriedly.

"I don't know...yet." I answered in a dreamlike state.

"Jay, you look really tense. This is only training, not actual fighting." Aiden warned me during training.

"Sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me today." I said, confused and scared. I didn't know if I could control myself, it's like I couldn't act normal.

"Please tell me what's wrong. Are you mad at someone? And Dylan doesn't count." Daemon asked as we left training.

"No, but I can't help feeling like something bad is going to happen." I admitted to him.

In the end I just let myself give in to the feeling, and instead of trying to control myself I just did whatever my subconscious told me to do. I ended up on the roof in my full kit at ten in the evening. So my subconscious was telling me to jump off a building. Great, just what I need. I turned around and just as I started to open the door to the roof I saw a small movement out of the corner of my eye.

"Who's there? Come out now and you might live." I said in a firm voice. I swear there was someone here, I could hear their breathing.

"Last warning!" I shouted into the night. Then I saw a boy step out of the shadows, he had curly brown hair and pale skin. He was soon followed out of the shadows by a girl and a boy. The girl had a slight tan and dirty blonde hair that was cropped in a boy cut, the boy looked like he had stepped out of a bar fight, his forehead had a small cut on it, near his hairline, and his right cheek was highly bruised. His hair was long and ginger, tied back in a low ponytail, and he had a slight limp as he walked forward. All of them had the same eyes as the people I killed on the rooftop of the EmpireStateBuilding.

"Hello, good to meet you, you can die now." I said as I turned to face them head on.

"That's the sylvie." The second boy cried, and they ran towards me. I heard three more sets of breathing and I realised that I was being surrounded. I whirled around and sure enough, there were three more people coming from behind me. I shifted into a crouch, ready to jump and run. I felt hands grabbing my shoulders pulling me back, so I lashed out behind me and heard something snap as I broke one of the girls' knee caps. I heard a cry of frustrated pain, and the leader's pitiful shout.

"No! We need her alive!" I ducked as the second boy swung a punch that was probably meant for my jaw.

"Stop wasting my time." I snarled as I jumped eight feet in the air, landing on the other side of the group in another crouch. I tried to throw fyre at them, but they knocked the flames to one side with a gloved hand. I knew I couldn't mist otherwise I would be vulnerable for a single second in which case they could overpower me easily. I was forced to duck again as another boy swung a knife at me.

"Don't try to go sylvie on us. We all know that you are allergic to gold, and we figure that even if you turn into a gas, you are still allergic, so you can't be touched by gold." The leading boy said with a smirk, and he raised his knife so that it was millimetres away from my neck.

"Wow, nerd much?" I said, scathingly. I didn't need him to tell me what I could and couldn't do. I tried to back away, but I felt another knife pressed against my back.

I turned around slowly to look at all my attackers, none of them showed any sign of weakness. All of them had the gold knives, and all of them were pointed at me. I couldn't think of a way to escape, so I did what any Shadow would have done in that situation.

"Fine. I won't fight." My voice was filled with icy hate. So much for always winning.