Chapter 25

"Hello boys." I said coolly.

"It's the sylvie alright." Tom growled.

"Yep. By the way, I like the eyes. Contacts right?"

"No, duh." Tom said sarcastically.

"I was just leaving, so by all means, use the room as much as you want." I smirked.

"We don't need the room. We need to get you." A scowling Zack replied.

"So you're going to take me back to Olympus?" I might've sounded too hopeful.

"Yeah, you are coming with us, and don't forget, we have knives." Tom looked proud, but a bit unsure about my reaction.

"I'm sure you do, but in the mean time I'll just come quietly now if you don't mind."

"What kind of game are you playing?" Zack narrowed his eyes, probably trying to see if I was going to make a run for it. I sighed.

"I'm not playing a game. You want to take my back to Olympus so I'll go." Tom drew his knife and held it up to my neck. I stood calmly, letting the knife rest against my neck, even though it itched.

"You are going to lead others to Olympus, aren't you?" He snarled.

"No. I've left my Institute. I basically ran away, so I don't think I'm going to go anywhere soon, at least not back to them."

"Tell the truth!" Tom was shouting now.

"I freaking am!" I shouted back.

"Tom! Let go. She might be telling the truth." Zach pulled Tom back so that the knife wasn't against my neck anymore. I put a hand up to my neck and rubbed the place the knife had been.

"Thank you Zack, now should we go now? I'm assuming that you want to get me back before night."

"We should go back." Zack said.

"You get her bags; I'll make sure she doesn't run." Tom agreed.

"Use your neglected brain for once! If I didn't want to be caught you guys would be dead by now!"

"Which is why I believe your little story, now lets go." Zack carried my bags down, and out of the building, to a small Audi that was waiting in the alleyway next to it.

"Get in." Tom ordered.

"I'm getting." I snapped back.

"Here, put this around her neck." Zack handed Tom a lighter and a shiny chain.

"Aw, come on!" I whined.

"Just hold still so that I don't burn you." Tom said impatiently.

"Fine." I mumbled as he loped the gold necklace around my neck and somehow melted the ends together. Zack saw me staring at the lighter in amazement.

"We modified it a bit." He explained.

"I think I can see that." I murmured back amazed that the simple lighter could burn hot enough to melt gold together.

"Let's go, I want to get home." Tom was really getting impatient.

"We're going." Zack said, and stepped on the gas pedal, racing down the empty late morning street.

Dylan looked at the crime scene in amazement. The door had been kicked in and there were splinters everywhere, not to mention the two halves of wood that used to be the door, lying on the ground. Other that that, there was no evidence of a struggle, almost as if Jayde had wanted to go with them.

In the lobby there had a dead man behind the counter, shot from the looks of the hole in his head. Ava had looked through the customer record and only one person had been staying in the rundown shack of a hotel. Jayde. Wayland had then misted up to Jayde's room only to come down with red eyes.

"She's not there." Wayland had said. At this Dylan had misted up to Jayde's room, to find that Wayland wasn't joking.

"We still have to search the city, we have to find her!" Dylan cried, misting back downstairs.

"Dylan, please wait for a moment. We've tracked her this far, but the Institute only tracked her to the hotel room. It's a wonder that we were in the right country in the first place! We need to go back and regroup." Ava looked close to tears too, but Dylan listened to her. The whole Institute was in chaos, they were having trouble perfecting their abilities, since there was no perfect example to follow, and there were disagreements on what to do, since no one would ever decide against Jayde. They needed a leader, someone who was better than all of the kids at the institute, and someone who knew what to do at every moment. But the only person who fit the description was AWOL.

"Fine. Let's go back." Dylan consented, and all of them vanished in three wisps of silver smoke.

"Get up sylvie! We're almost there." Tom roughly shook me awake, and for once I was glad that I had a gold necklace on, otherwise his head would have been on fyre by now. But the gold necklace didn't stop me from smacking him in the face.

"Tom, don't! Nathan wanted her unharmed." Zack said from the front seat, as Tom seized the front of my shirt.

"All hail Zeus almighty!" I grumbled.

"You are lucky. If it was up to me, you would be dead." Tom threatened.

"I'm sorry, but if it were up to you, you wouldn't have been able to get this bloody chain on me, and you'd be with your friends up in the clouds." I snapped back.

"Sylvie, try to make the others like you. I don't mind you, and Tom is just grumpy right now, but the some of the others still hate you for killing their friends. Don't push them too far." Zack warned.

"Look yellow eyes, your friends attacked first. If I feel threatened then I'll use everything I have." I said, indignantly.

"See, that's what I mean! You keep insisting that it wasn't your fault, so you just make them annoyed at the fact that you're right."

"But, I am right." I smirked.

"Just shut up now." Tom said, with complete finality in his voice. The rest of the car ride passed in silence. Finally we reached an old building that had the words 'Olympus Hotel' over the doorway. Zack caught me looking at the sign, well, maybe smirking was a better description.

"We bought the place, but never re-opened it." Tom called while taking my bags from the car trunk.

"Bit ironic, isn't it?" I laughed.

"Sylvie." Zack warned.

"Right, quiet, sorry." I mumbled, and willed myself to fall silent. Zack led me into Olympus, while Tom went to park the car. I heard lots of voices fall silent as we walked into what used to be the front lobby. I looked around to see Nathan, Benjamin, Rachel, Grace, Jacob and Clare all staring daggers at me in disbelief. I fought myself not to laugh.

"Well, hi! Nice to see you again." I tried to smile, but all I got in return were narrowed eyes.

"Tom said that you wanted to join us." Grace said.

"Well, I'd like to if you'd let me." I replied, maybe I should tone down the hopefulness a bit, I thought.

"One thing. We would like to know why. Why do you want to join us?" Nathan demanded. I thought about how to explain my situation to them.

"I think I have been expelled from my institute." I said after a while.

"Why can't you go elsewhere?" Benjamin asked coldly.

"There are too many people out to get me. Scientists want to test us, leaders would want to use me as a weapon, and some people might just want to kill me because they think I'm a demon."

"Then why stay with us?" Rachel asked, her face was a mask of confusion.

"You already know too much about us, but we can't kill you because you know about our... allergy to gold. The others know that you might be able to beat them, but they don't know your exact location."

"Then how do we know we can trust you?" Nathan asked.

"I guess you can't trust me, until you get your proof that you can trust me."