Trust

KENDRA  POV

I've stayed at the yard all night. May-ya didn't look well, and I had to watch her. She was showing signs of colic, so I called the vet out and had her checked over. I was lucky because I caught it in time and was able to walk her around the field most of the night. She looks better now, but colic can happen for any number of reasons. I've already lost a horse a few years ago to colic, and it was so heart breaking, the way they just lay there and can't get up, I don't want to see that again.

The sun was coming up, and I was still walking around. The vet was coming back at eight, so I had two hours to wait. I was feeling so beat and tired I just wanted to sleep. I was talking to May-ya the whole time and Sweetie was following us around the field.

The vet came and May-ya was in the clear. I was so relieved and happy; it was the good news that I needed to hear.

********

I'm at Uni and I have a couple of lectures that I have. My day ends and I go back to the horses to check on them. I'm thinking about moving back, so I can watch them. The vet bill cost me almost six hundred pounds. I really need to find a job and drop Uni. With the exams I've already done, I could become a justice of the peace or a court clerk.

I won't be able to afford Uni unless I sell my horses.

I get to the yard and I'm standing at the gate watching the horses and I'm thinking of all the ways to carry on, but it's just too much. If I leave Uni, I still need to afford to keep my horses. I was contemplating selling my two mares to the top breeder and It would be the best thing for my horses and for me. I could find a job and carry on with my life.

I stood in tears looking at my horses, knowing I had to make the decision and it was one I didn't want to do. I got hold of the breeder that I knew, and they offered a lot of money, they were going to give me half a million each. My parents were well off and invested the money in the horses and the land. I know that Sweetie cost just under half a million, and with me competing with her, the price had risen. She had good bloodlines and being a mare was worth more.

May-ya is a champion through and through and is worth a lot for what she's done already. I made the hardest decision I've ever made. But one I had to.

We spoke at length and they offered me to compete for them. I just wanted to cut ties with it all and start afresh. Then he told me he would give two million for both and they would fully own them. I greed with a heavy heart and thanked them. They are going to contact me when the funds have reached my bank and arrange to pick them up.

********

It's been two days and I was sat on a stool at the island in Colton's kitchen drinking mint tea. Colton had asked what was wrong and I said nothing was wrong. I didn't want him to know, and I most certainly didn't want anyone else to know. So, I kept it to myself.

Colton walks in and gets a coffee and sits opposite me. I will be moving soon, and soon as the funds are clear I will look for somewhere else. He looks at me and smiles. I strain a smile. Then my phone rings.

I look at it and it's the breeder.

I look at Colton and smile and walk out to the lounge.

"Yes," I say and close my eyes.

"Kendra, we would like to pick the horses up at ten this morning, the funds have cleared in your bank," I walked over to the window and I was crying.

"Okay, I will be there around Nine," I say, and I can't stop the tears falling down my cheeks.

"See you at ten," They said and hang up.