Chapter 8 Careless Whisper

Lucas"s POV

We pull into a small diner, and I smile to myself. Emmett walks besie me, and he even holds the door open for me. I find myself forming some kind of false illusion, where Emmett and I are together. I know that he will never feel that way about me, so I just need to stop the fantasies, before I find myself too attached. That's a load of garbage though because I'm already head over heels in love with him. when we sit down, a young waitress comes over to greet us. She sees Emmett, and her irritated grimace instantly becomes a smile. I ca tell that she's totally into him, but he's oblivious. He looks up at me, from his menu, and asks confusedly.

"What's so funny?" I am fighting with all of my self control not to laugh, and his confusion makes it all the more funny. I snicker at him, before turning to my menu. I just ate three hours ago, so I'm not really that hungry, but I order something small, as to not offend Emmett. He did drive over two hours just to take me to breakfast. We chat about random unimportant things until our food comes. I notice as we eat our breakfast that Emmett eats as if there's no tomorrow.

"Um... I thought v- your kind didn't eat human food?" I ask, as he shovels a mouthful of omelet down. He finishes chewing his food, and swallows it.

"Well, when we were the old type of vampire I didn't eat human food at all. It tasted like dirt. Now, I'm making up for like sixty six years of no eating" he says, and I frown. It doesn't sound like the old type was very appealing.

"Was there anything good about the old type of Vampire?" I ask him, making him laugh bitterly.

" I can sense a crushing anger behind his eyes, but I don't bring it up.

"Well, there were fewer ways to kill us, and We didn't have to breathe if we didn't want to, but that's about it. Our old nickname was "The Cold Ones". We're more powerful now. We can feed on human blood without killing, or changing the donor. We don't even have venom anymore. I honestly don't miss anything about our old life." he says, and I see honesty in his blue eyes.

"It must've been hard to have a normal life back then, when you had like blood addiction, venom, and sparly skin. What else was different?" I ask curiously.

"Well, we didn't know Klaus yet, so that was a plus. The old type of vampire only had two eye colors. Red eyes was the most common color because human blood makes the venom in our eyes turn red. My family fed on animals, so when we were freshly fed our eyes were topaz. Rosalie was still with us" he said, trailing off at the mention of Rosalie. I really didn't like this woman, for hurting my Emmett.

"I'm sorry that she hurt you. What exactly happened, if you don't mind me asking?" I ask timidly. I hope that I didn't upset him, but too late now.

"Well, she was the one who saved me, from the bear. From the moment I opened my eyes as a vampire, she was mine. We spent sixty six years together, then one day they came. There were four of them, and they were stronger than us, and the gave us a proposal. Kol had taken a liking to little Nessie, so he offered to change our coven into the stronger kind, and in return, we had to change Klaus into the weaker kind. Rosalie met Klaus, and fell for him, so she betrayed us. When he learned of our plan he was angry. He gave Rose a choice, between us and him, and she couldn't bear to leave his side, so she left with him, but I"m good. She was corrupted by the thirst for power. I will always love her, but our relationship is over. I have moved on, and I'm beginning to be happy once again." he said, and I knew it was time to change the subject. I push the remains of my waffle around my syrup drowned plate. when our food is finally gone, and I lay back, closing my eyes. I cannot remember the last time that I had so much fun with one person.

He leans in across the table, and whispers, for only me to hear.

"I"m really glad you decided to come with me" he admitted, making me smile.

"I'm really glad you invited me" I reply, and he smiles down at his hands. His dimples show prominantly everytime he smiles. I feel an ache in my stomach whenever I see him. He is truly flawless, and I wish more than anything that he would love me, but I'm okay with friendship for now. He stands up to leave, and I follow his lead.

"So, how does it feel to be out of your county, for the first time in your life?" he asks, after a minute of driving in his car.

"Uh... It's cool to see new areas, and to be able to say that I"m somewhere new." I answer honestly again. I wonder if I'll ever be able to lie to this boy.

"Do you wanna know where we're going next?" he asks, and I whip my head around to gaze at him, from the passenger seat.

"Emmett! You don't have to take me anywhere else" I demand, but he just smirks, and continues driving. "Where are we going?" I ask defeatedly, causing his smirk to only grow larger. Great I'm in a car with a vampire, and his enormous ego.

"You'll see when we get there sweetheart" he taunts, but I can't help, but notice the thrill go through my body, when he calls me "Sweetheart".

We pull up to a harbor, and he signals for me to get out of the car. I check my phone to see the time, and realize that it's ten-thirty. I still have eight hours until my dad gets home. Emmett pulls me over to a boat, and helps me climb in. When we're both secured with life-jackets, and sitting on the boat Emmett turns the motor on, and we speed off into the open water, and away from the safety of the harbor. I've never been on a boat before, so I'm pretty much terrified. Emmett glances at me, and I see a goofy grin on his face, so I relax a little. This is apparently something he loves to do, so I need to try it, before I decide to hate it. I feel the swaying of the boat on the choppy water, and I close my eyes. This isn't so bad. It's actually kind of relaxing. I feel closer to Emmett since he showed me another piece of the puzzle that is his life. I smile to myself at the thought of this wonderful guy that I'm in love with sharing pieces of his life with me. Could it get any better?