Chapter 10 Walking on Broken Glass

Chapter 10 Walking On Broken Glass

Lucas's POV

The covers are ripped off of me, and the curtains peeled back, revealing the aching sunlight. I hastily throw my arm over my sensative eyes, and groan tiredly. I feel absolutely rested, and peaceful, which is precisely why I don't my sleep to end. Today is Saturday, which means I don't get to see Emmett. It also means that my mother arrives today.

"Luke, get up NOW!" Chloe whines, from the foot of my bed, but I don't even reply. Chloe is the only sibling that I don't get along with. We've always been in the same grade, so you'd expect us to be closer, but no. She doesn't even know that I"m gay yet. I haven't decided whether I can trust her, or not.

"Luke! Come on. Dad wants You, and Chloe to go pick mom up, from the airport, while he cleans, and cooks for tonight." Skylar complains, and I roll over reluctantly.

"Why can'y you, and Dylan go?" I complain. I usually have no problem getting up in the morning, but today is different. Part of that may be because I had such a long (amazing) day yesterday with him. He hasn't left my mind all night. When I finally locked myself in my room, for the night I found myself dancing like a twelve year old Hannah Montana obsessed girl. I even dreamed of him, and I constantly find myself whispering his name, when nobody is around. I pull my resisting body out of bed, and saunter off to the shower. Once I'm under the hot water, my body begins to function. What is this newfound exhaustion? I'm really not sure how I feel about going to pick my mother up, from the airport. Should I be excited at finally getting a chance to know who my mother really is? Should I be pissed at her, for abandoning her husband, and four kids behind for a job? Should I be scared to let her in, for fear of her leaving again? I guess whichever I feel, when I see her is what I'll go with. I quickly dress, and ready myself, for the forty five minute drive to the closest airport. I wish that I could see Emmett. Even though he doesn't know it, he makes me extremely happy, and I love being around him. I love him.

"To the International Georgian airport" I say sarcastically, when Chloe pulls her black mercury saturn off of our street. Chloe smiles, but then she looks confused. "What are you confused about?" I ask, and she flinches like I hit her. What the hell?

"Mom's landing ina different airport, and I'm not excited either. Why did you even vote, for her to come back anyway?" she demands, and I stop. A different airport? What is she too good, for our small airport?

"Which airport, and because believe it or not; I actually want to know what our mother is like" I say shortly. I honestly don't want to hear her preppy little remarks, about how this is somehow affecting her "Super strict skank code" (Skylar's nickname not mine). She looks at me, before laughing harshly.

"You wanna know our mom Luke? Why? So she can decide to leave us again? No thank you... She probably lost her job, so she came back as a last resort. And we're picking her up in Atlanta" she said, making me think for a second. What if she was right. The acting business is a very unpredictable thing, and you can be on top one day, and off the radar the next. What if we're her backup plan? Then it's her loss, and we'll find out in due time.

"How've you been?" I ask civily, trying to make this three hour drive a little less miserable. The warm weather, from yesterday is gone, and the cold has returned. I see the horse ranch that Emmett took me to, and a smile forms upon my lips.

"Good, but not as good as you apparantly." she laughs happily.

"What do you mean?" I ask, and she just laughs even harder.

"You've ditched school the last two days, and you're smiling nonstop. You got laid didn't you? Who is she? Spill." She commands, but I am officially uncomfortable now.

"I didn't have sex with anyone, so stop!" I bark at her irritated, and on the verge of tears. She looks at me apologetically, and then pursues the conversation again.

"Well it's obvious you're in love, so who is the lucky girl?" she asks a little less aggressively, but not entirely innocently.

"Chloe, I'm not in-" I begin, but she cuts me off with a cluck of her tongue.

"You're full of crap. Tell me her name" she commands, and I begin to blush. This is not something I enjoy. I wish more than anything that I could simply answer with a name, like I could with Sky. Chloe and I are just not that close.

"I-I don't thi-" I start again, trying to explain that I don't think we should be talking about this right now, when she keeps pushing.

"Tell me. Oh my god!" she whines, and I'm getting super irritated at her. She's being pushy, and annoying. "Well?" she yells at me.

"I"m gay!" I scream, as the tears break through the barrier, and come pouring down my face. She looks at me, for about five seconds, and then she barks with laughter.

"I knew it!" she squeeled, and then she reached a hand over, and squeezed my hand. "I'm so proud of you Luke, and you know that I still love you" she says, and her response is by far the best I've ever received , from this specific confession. I know that Chloe and I are going to be a lot closer from now on. I smile to myself.

We pull into the airport, and find the right terminal to wait by, for our mom. I"m left alone with my thoughts, while we wait, and once again my mind races down the familiar path to Emmett. When she steps off the plane, and meets my gaze, she smiles, and I can see that she's truly happy to see us, and I smile back.

"Chloe, Lucas it's so good to see you. Let's go. I don't like waiting" she says promptly, and even I'm offended a little.

"Oh well isn't that unfortunate? I"ve been waiting to have a mother, for fourteen years, but who am I to complain, when washed up actresses are waiting to leave an airport?" she says exasperatedly, and I actually find myself holding back a smile. She did kind of deserve that one. We all look at eachother, and I feel like we're all walking on broken glass, and at any second our floor could shatter, and we'll fall to our deaths.

The drive back is incredibly awkward, so I turn on the radio, and stare out the window, trying to hold onto my good mood, by remembering my day with Emmett. I hope I get to see him soon. Monday seems like years away. We pull into the house, and I leap from the car, and rush up the stairs, and into my room. I plop down on my bed, and close my eyes. If I fall asleep, then I'll most likely dream of him. I want nothing more than to dream of Emmett.