Chapter 21 The night the lights went out in Georgia

Lucas's POV

Renesmee climbs out of the car, and we head into the restraunt. She looks around cautiously, before she steps up to the counter to order. Even though she is supposedly a sixth grader, it seems more like she should be in third grade. When we get our food, I lead her over to a table away from everyone else. Maybe she isn't as big as she should be, but she is smarter than she looks.

"Renesmee, you're going to stay with me, and I'll take you to school. How do you pass, for a sixthe grader, anyway? If you never age again, then you're going to be a tiny high schooler" I say, and she giggles, before explaining it to me.

"When my mom, and dad got married, she was still a human. I was conceived on their honeymoon, but I aged faster than usual, so when she was one month pregnant, I was born. She died from it you know. Well she became a vampire, and then the Vulturi came for me. They thought I was an immortal child, which was forbidden long ago. Originally it wasn't illegal, but when they are turned at such a young age, they're minds never fully develope.

They become a danger to our secrets, and to the human population. They were associated with piles of innocent bodies. the old ones made a pact to rid the world of the beasts, and ever since then it has been against our laws to turn a child younger than seven. Some have broken the laws, but they are almost always caught, and killed.

The vulturi feels threatened of my family because we have so many members. there are thirteen of us, as a family, but the other five live in Alaska. I know you don't know her, but I miss my auntie Rosalie sometimes. even though she betrayed us, I still love her. She is the reason I'm alive. Daddy wanted me out of mama, but auntie Rose protected me, and that's how I came to live" she said, and I frowned slightly. Her short life is, so fillled with drama.

"I age faster than humans because of my half breed gene, but each day the aging decellerates little by little. I still have a few years to grow, so when I stop aging I will appear fifteen, and then I'll be able to truly be with Jacob." she finishes her little history lesson, and I smile at her. I didn't kno her and Jacob were a thing. That's kind of creepy. It's not my place to judge though.

We finish our meal, and just sit there basking in our moment of peace. I really like Renesmee, and she is getting very close to me, from now on. This makes me smile, but then it's time, for us to go home. I'm still wondering how my dad will take this news, added to me babysitting a kid, for who knows how long. This may all be too much for him to take at one time.

When we leave the fast food restraunt behind, and get into my car, I crank the engine to life. She looks at me, before pointing to the radio. I nod my head, and she reaches to turn the radio on. The music comes out of the car speakers, and she hums along to the catchy tune playing on the local pop station.

I laugh, and turn my attention back to the road. we're about five minutes away, from my house, so I crank the volume up a little more, so we can have fun with the song. She begins singing along to the chorus, and I follow her lead. We begin dancing from side to side with the beat of the song, an dwhen we pull into the driveway, I'm laughing uncontrollably.

I turn the car off, and the music is cut short. We laugh in the silent car, for a few minutes before I open my door, and get out. I walk to the back of the car, and pull her bag of clothes from the trunk. She meets me at the end of my car, and we begin the short stroll to my front door. Renesmee freezes, and sniffs the air curiously.

I can tell she senses something, but she doesn't tell me what's going on, so I continue to the door. I reach for the door handle, and Renesmee calls me to stop. i turn and look back at her still form, but she doesn't elaborate, so I turn back to the cracked door. When the door comes open, see that the living room is empty. Where is everyone? I move past the doorstep, and freeze.

A strange smell fills my nostrils, and I look around. Renesmee runs past me, and into the kitchen. She hisses angrily, and then she's back in front of me. Her eyes are filled with sadness, but also fear. I look down into her brown eyes, and know something isn't right. I have this gnawing fear growing inside the pit of my stomach.

"What are you so upset about?" I ask, regretting the question before it comes out. She doesn't answer me, but she says the single word "kitchen". I pick up my pace, and walk down the hallway that I've scaled hundreds of times in my life, and turn around the final corner leading into the kitchen, where I've eaten my food, for the last sixteen years of my life.

My mouth drops, and tears fall down my face. there in the middle of the floor is my mother. Her skin is pale, and there's a small pool of blood around her head. It's obvious that she's dead, and I feel my heart drop into my stomach. How can she be dead? How am I the first one to find her? Where is everyone else? That's when I think of the possibility of something haappening to the rest of my family. I run out of the kitchen to search.

I find my brother lying on the hallway floor right after coming off the stairs. I kneel down beside him, and find that he's still breathing raggedly. I hold his hand, before stepping around his rapidly growing pool of blood. Chloe stumbles from her room, and there's blood all over her. She's crying hysterically, and I see that the blood is coming from her neck. Where is my dad, and Skylar?

I slam Skylar's door against the wall, and collapse onto the floor. My father is lying on the floor beside her, with his neck blatantly broken. Skylar is in shock, and having trouble breathing. It sounds like she might be swallowing her blood into her lungs. She makes a gurgling noise, and then begins to choke.

I scream at the top of my lungs, and run from the room. I scoop up the first phone I lay eyes on and dial 911.

"Help please oh god... please my family they've been attacked hurry" I sob hysterically through the phone, and the woman tries to ask questions, but I just scream at her angrily, "Do your damn job, and stop asking questions. I need help NOW!". I throw the phone against a wall, and go back up the stairs.

"Chloe did you see anything?" I hear Renesmee ask, and I zone out of the scene before me. Who could've done this? It was obviously a vampire, but who would single my family out? Someone who knows the Cullens, but the Vulturi doesn't seem like the cowardly kill human family type. I feel like they would come at us in the open, and cut heads off. They have the power to just march up punishing people.

I stumble across the blood soaked rug, and to my room. I fling the door open, and see the writing on the wall It's written in someone's blood, and I know it is a member of my family's blood. I look up through my tear soaked eyes, and read the bloody message drawn upon my wall.

"You have been warned. Do not associate with the wrong people" I choke back another sob, and run to where I left my cell phone.

I thrust the phone into my hands, and dial Emmett's number. the ambulance will be here soon, and he needs to examine the bodies. I need to know who did this, but what am I going to do even if I do find out? I'm a weak little human. The phone begins ringing, and I prepare myself to explain without crying. Nonetheless, when he answers I burst into tears.

"Emmett, my family's been attacked by a vampire. Help please" I say, and I hear the line go dead. I know he's on his way, and he'll fix this. I vaguely notice that one of my old CD's is playing. I hear the sound of the words bounding through my head.

"That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia. That's the night they hung an innocent man", then I realize this wasn't random. I've been targeted.