Chapter 3- Her struggle

As soon as Sanket left for office my mom entered my room. I was busy unscrewing my nuptial chain and noticed her walk in. She stood restlessly and started cracking her knuckles to gain my attention. I gradually spun towards her.

'Mom, you don't have to tell me anything. I heard your conversation with Sanket and he is not wrong.' I paused as I witnessed a sudden shock on her face. She didn't know that I had heard their conversation and looked away in embarrassment. 'I know I am a burden to all of you now, and hence I will look out for a separate house for myself. Just bear with me for a few months. I am even ready to pay the rent for our stay,' said I while she remained unanswered.

'That's better,' Sanket interrupted. 'I wouldn't mind your stay here then,' said he. I refused to look at him and continued unscrewing my earring.

'Sanket?' my mom stared but it didn't affect him anyway. He was clear in his intentions that he didn't want to take our responsibility. But I was also firm, that I wouldn't rely upon his money and earn a living for myself.

'Mom, I forgot my phone and hence came to collect it. We'll discuss the rest in the evening. For now, she can stay here,' said he and started to his office. His attitude was as if he was doing a favor to me. I felt like telling it on his face that this was my father's house and I had the right to stay here but now the situation was different. I was someone's widow and I had the responsibility of my daughter. Hence I stood mum for her sake.

'I am sorry Netra,' said Mom, lowering her eyes. She was speechless after those rude words from Sanket.

'It's okay Ma, I can understand and we won't be a hindrance to anyone,' said I and started to unpack my bags while she left the room silently.

Three weeks later,

After almost three weeks of searching, I finally got a job in a school as an English teacher. It was tough to find a job as I didn't have a graduation certificate. Our batch certificates got burnt in a fire accident that happened in our college a year after I graduated.

Sad, isn't it?

I know but I had no other option than to go with it. I kept trying and finally got recruited as an English teacher at G.P. K Public School. They were fine with my course completion certificate, giving me a long-term relief. I could now pay the rent for my stay and would not have to face any unnecessary talks. I sighed.

Moreover, the outside world was very new to me. I had always depended on some or the other person in my life. Before marriage, it was my father and after marriage it was Saurabh. In simple terms, my world started and ended with my family. I remained under their shade throughout my life until three weeks back when I lost Saurabh and a year back, my father. I was now exposed to a new world, and a new life.

In the last few weeks, I had learnt a lot of new stuff, like how to open a bank account and the bus routes. Basically, I always used to wander between my in-law's house and my house. Other than that, I never used to travel much. So learning the bus routes was essential as I was not confined to my family now. I started wandering around and made new friends, thus developing my social background. On the whole, it was a new life for me, a different one. On the other hand, I had to get Aarohi admitted in a school this year. I simultaneously started to enquire in different schools near my school. I wanted her to get the best education, no matter how much it costs me.

'St Mary convent school' I read and stopped in front of a huge building. There were a lot of students playing in the ground; after all it was the first week of June and many schools had reopened. I entered the school and kept looking all around for help.

'Excuse me!' someone called out for me. I turned and in front of me stood a lady fully covered from head to toe. She wore a chain with a plus sign and carried some books in her hand. I scanned her from top to bottom. Her eyes were spiritual and her tone was kind. On the whole, she seemed like a cupid to me.