Chapter 5- She's humiliated

'Bhaiya, stop here,' I ordered the auto driver and paid him. Throughout my way back home, I had been wondering of where Anuya was as I hadn't seen her even after school. I didn't have her number either to call and ask her if she was fine.

'Hi Netra beta,' said Mrs. Chadda as I was about to enter the house. I greeted her with a smile. 'Is everything alright at home?' asked she, leaving me confused.

Why on the earth does she have to post such a question? I doubted as my eyes narrowed.

'Yes, everything is fine. Why are you asking so aunty?' I stood stupefied.

'Please don't mistake me; I heard some kind of a heated argument in your house a while back.' said she leaving me appalled. Everything was fine when I called mom in the break and now in all of a sudden what went wrong? I speculated.

'Ugh?'

'Yes, and hence I asked you.' said she

'That's completely fine aunty; I didn't mind you asking me' I smiled 'by the way, Is Aarohi at your house?' asked I after a pause.

She shook her head. 'No, she left home a while ago'

'Okay, thank you' I grinned again and stepped inside the house.

I didn't believe her words at first but when I entered the house, everything was scattered and out of its place. Aarohi was nowhere and so were Priyanka and Sanket. I looked into the kitchen but mom wasn't there. My heart started racing and I took deep intake of breath. I was so terrified that I rushed into my room. And to my shock, mom was sitting in a corner and crying. She had her face tucked between her legs and her hands holding her legs tightly.

'What happened mom?' asked I as she kept weeping. My heart skipped a beat as anxiousness swept over.

'Mom, you're scaring me. Will you say something? Where is Aarohi?' asked I, my heart pumping faster than ever. There was definitely something fishy going on in this house.

'Sanket,' she paused, and wiped the tears off her cheeks. 'He created a scene today' said she turning towards me.

'What scene? What happened?' I asked perturbed.

'He scolded Aarohi,' said she as my eyes broadened. My teeth gritting each other and my fist tightened. 'I tried to stop him but he scolded her a lot. She left the house crying' said she, I could feel my heart stop pumping. My entire body was frozen.

'What? You didn't stop her?' I snapped after a pause.

'I tried to but he stopped me from consoling her, I couldn't do anything' she wept, I was outraged by her words.

She was a mother herself, how could she post such a lame excuse? I was irked by her lethargic and selfish attitude.

'This is it, he's crossing all his limits now' I yelled and went out in search of Aarohi. I knew exactly where she would be, and hence without wasting a second I hurried to the big ground behind our house. And as I guessed she was right there, sitting in a corner and weeping.

'Aarohi,' I called out, she didn't respond and started walking.

'Aarohi, wait' I ran behind her to stop her and lifted her in my arms.

'Mama is very bad, he scolded me a lot today' she complained. Her cute little nose had turned red as water flowed out of it. There were tears surrounding her round eyes. She gently rubbed her nose against my handkerchief and hugged me tightly.

'Why did he scold you? Did you do something wrong?'

'No, I was just eating the biscuits which he brought yesterday.' said she. I was horrified listening to her words and couldn't believe what I heard. Hence I repeated my question.

'Why did he scold you for eating biscuits?' I asked but she had no answer for it and kept sobbing. I gently caressed her hair as she rested her head on my shoulders. 'When you have done no wrong, then why should you cry? Let me wipe off your precious tears' said I and cuddled her.

--------------------------------------------------

'Why did you behave so rudely with her for a biscuit?' I yelled. I had left Aarohi in Mrs. Chadda's house and now it was confession time. Sanket had just arrived from the garage after repairing his torn vehicle.

'I got those especially for Aarav, and by the way you haven't paid the rent yet. Do you remember? And as I told you earlier, this is my house and I can do whatever I want' he drawled as I stood fuming listening to his words.

'Sanket, she is also a kid like Aarav.' said I indignantly.

'Yes, she was but now she is a burden for me. I can't waste my money behind her' said he tucking his hands along his chest. His words left me shattered as a drop of tear peeped out of my eyes.

'Fine, I will get my daughter whatever she wants. You don't have to do anything for her' said I firmly when suddenly the door bell rang.

Mom hurried towards the door and opened it. It was Priyanka and she had returned after a small walk. Behind her came Aarav following her mom's footsteps and hopping along.

'Priyanka,' said I, a sudden gleam on my face. 'It's so long, how are you?' asked I and moved forward to hug her but she stepped back.

'I am good di,' said she. Her eyes looking elsewhere, as though, she wasn't excited to meet me.

'So now my little sister won't even hug me?' said I and moved forward to hug her again, but this time she pushed me away from her.

'Didi, can't you understand at once? Stay away from me, I don't want any negativity to affect my child.' said she. My jaws dropped wide as her eyeballs rolled in disgust.

'Are you in your senses Priyanka?' asked I, tears stood stagnant in my eyes.

'I am, and that's why I am speaking so politely to you. You and your daughter please stay away from me' she warned and sat on the sofa. Her hands placed on her forehead as she scrolled her friend's book account. 'This is why I told Rishabh that I don't want to come here, but he forced me to stay here.' She murmured in such a way that I could hear her clearly. It was on purpose because she wanted me to either leave this house or stay away from her. I was flabbergasted.

'Priyanka, you shouldn't talk like that to your elder sister' said Mom courteously, she glared at her and instantly mom went quiet.

'Why don't you all understand that she is a bad omen for my child? First, she ate her own husband, now only god knows what she's up to' said she as a drop of tear left my eyes and tipped on my cheeks. Her words were pricking and killing me from inside. She was my own sister and how could she call me a bad omen for her child? I couldn't digest whatever I heard and stood frozen.

'If I am bad vibe to your children, then I won't near them hereafter' I snapped and walked out of the house.

Throughout the lane, I kept thinking of what was my fault. Anuya's words kept running inside my mind. He was a smoker and alcohol consumer, his death was decided then how am I a bad omen? I didn't take anyone's life. I am not a bad omen, I kept telling myself until a bright headlight of a car hit on my eyes. I placed my hand in front of my face unable to take the intensity and growled.

'Who the hell is this? Don't you have any sense?' I retorted, and from inside the car came out a guy. I couldn't see his face clearly as it was too dark.

'Who are you?' asked I trying to clear my vision. He gradually walked towards me and stood in front of me. 'You?' said I, stunned after seeing his face. He was the same guy whom I met in St. Mary convent school.

'Yes, it's me.' he answered in a husky voice and continued. 'Didn't you get any other car to die? Why did you come in front of my car?' he asked. I was already in rage; hence I decided to ignore him and walked ahead.

'Excuse me! I am talking to you' he called out, but I continued walking without giving him a damn value. I was in no mood to argue, and was in a lot of pain. I was a bad omen to my own siblings, and their words chimed in my ears. I was dying as every minute passed by.

---------------------------------------------------

Gandi soch ki badbu, right?

Priyanka should have been slapped here, do you agree?