Chapter 25- A hasty decision

'What? You broke up with him?' asked Anuya, her mouth wide open. It was late night 10 pm and she was in my house. Aarohi was deep asleep.

'Yes, I had to. It took me a lot of courage to ask him to stay away from me. I still don't know if I would be able to marry Rohit because I love Viren a lot' I wept, Anuya tried to console me.

'But Netra, you were about to cancel the engagement right?' she asked in dismay.

'Yes, for a second I thought about it but after speaking to Viren's mother I decided to back off.' said I

'What did she say? Tell me the entire incident?' she stressed me to open up and hence I narrated the entire argument that took place in Viren's house. The words told by Mrs. Singhania, and finally her request. After listening to my entire story, Anuya took a long and a deep breath.

'Did you tell this to Viren?' she asked after a long pause.

'Are you mad? I can't tell this to him, he won't let me move on. Moreover aunty is right, he deserves the best and choosing me will only give him pain. No one will be happy with our wedding, neither my family nor his family and you tell me, what is the point in marrying?' asked I forcing her to think.

'But you are not happy with this relationship Netra' she said, thus making me realize once again that I was going to sacrifice my life for my family. That family, who never left an occasion to humiliate me. But I was not like them and that was my biggest weakness. 'You have a daughter also, don't forget that' said she.

'You're right and tomorrow I will have a detailed talk with Rohit about everything, especially Aarohi' I stood up 'If his reply convinces me then only I will take this engagement ahead, but make sure that Viren doesn't come to know about this' said I, Anuya nodded.

If I tell him anything then he will never be able to move on. By this time he should have understood that our love story has no future, I said to myself

'If you need my help, let me know?' said she, I smiled.

'Of course I will need your help tomorrow.' said I while she gave a doubtful look 'You have to return this ring back to Viren'

I took his ring off my finger and gave it to her.

'This is not mine anymore,' said I, she gradually took it from me and kept it in her bag.

'I will give it to him without fail, but you keep updating me?' said she, I nodded.

Tomorrow I am going to make the most crucial decision in my life. This will change my life completely.

Next morning,

Time: 11am

Location: Bhatia Gardens

Mom had told me that Rohit would meet me in this garden by 11 am and hence I took a half day leave from school. I had informed Anuya to pick up Aarohi if I get late and fortunately she agreed. And moreover, since yesterday I had not called back Viren. He had given me several missed calls but I didn't have the guts to call him back. I had just left him a message saying that I was held up with the engagement preparations. I knew that it would hurt him but I had to be harsh. I could not let my emotions take over once again, this would ruin everything.

'Netra....' A strong manly voice called me from behind. I quickly turned and in front of me was a tall guy, around 6ft above, clean shaved and he wore a square specs. He was wearing formal attire as if he was going for an interview. I mean, who comes to the park like this?

'Yes, Rohit?' asked I, he smiled.

'Yeah, it's so nice meeting you' he lifted his hands for a handshake. I hesitated at first but then shook hands with him.

'Shall we sit and talk?' asked he, I nodded pleasantly.

A long silence swept over,

'Mr. Rohit, let me come straight to the point. I hope you know about my past and my daughter?' asked I, he shook his head.

'I know, my sister told me about your past and your daughter. Ms. Netra, we both are mature enough to take a decision about our future. So let me ask you straight away, what are you expectation from this relationship?' asked he. If I spoke like I had to catch an express train, he rushed to board a flight.

'My priority and my expectation is the same. I want a secure future for my daughter, a happy one. She has never seen a father's love in her life and I don't expect that from you. I just want her to be safe and secure, that's it. If someone hurts her knowingly or even unknowingly, I don't spare them. And finally, anytime in life I will not send her to hostels or boarding schools. She will be right by my side.' said I, while he kept nodding his head all the time.

'I have no issues with all your demands,' he smiled.

'What are your expectations from this wedding?' asked I after a small pause.

'A mother for my daughter, that's it. If you don't give her love that's fine, I just want someone who can take care of her. She should feel secure' said he, I gasped.

'More or less our expectations are the same' said I, he shook his head.

'I will let your family know my decision by evening' said he after a long pause.

'Same here, I will let you know' said I and we parted ways.

Our priorities were clear and it was only for our daughters that we agreed to meet each other and decided to give it a chance. There was a minimal expectation from both the sides. I messaged Anuya asking her to pick up Aarohi from school and also that the meeting was over. The rest I had thought of telling her face to face.

Hence, soon after I reached home, I narrated to her whatever we spoke. Aarohi was busy seeing the television and eating whereas we were in the other room.

'So what have you decided?' asked she.

'He seems a genuine person, and our priorities are very clear. We are doing this for our daughters and hence it is a 'YES' for me' said I, she kept gazing at me without speaking a word.

'How are you able to do this Netra? Your heart lies with Viren....' said she holding my hand.

'I know but this is in my fate, we were not destined to get together. But that will never stop me from loving him. I will always love him and I can never forget him in my life' said I, a drop of tear rolled to my cheeks. I wiped it off immediately.

'I just hope you be happy with whomever you choose as your life partner' said she, I smiled unpleasantly.

'This wedding is only for my daughter,' said I

'Have you told about your decision to your family and Aarohi?'

'No, I haven't. I will call my family now and Aarohi.....' I paused wondering what I would tell her.

'She will only choose Viren,' said Anuya interrupting my thoughts.

'But that can never happen, Viren's family, my family will never let this happen. I told you the way Viren's mom spoke, she was very clear in her intensions. She hated me but that does not mean that I am giving up because of her. I am giving up because I know that Viren deserves the best and not a widow as his wife.' said I, leaving her speechless.

I quickly reached for my phone and called mom to convey my decision. After which she was damn happy.

'I will convey your reply to them' said she and hung up.

'Don't you think that you are taking a hasty decision?' asked Anuya, I shook my head horizontally.

'If I take time then I will not be able to move on. I will land up loving him even more, and then it will be difficult for me to move ahead in life.' said I, my head facing the floor. Tears kept dropping on the floor, while Anuya kept consoling me. It was a tuff phase but I had to be courageous and firm with my decision.