Chapter 6- A drastic step

Devastated by the words of Priyanka and Sanket, I finally ended in no-man road. There was no one around and it looked like an abandoned place. Scared by the silence I decided to walk back home. I quickly took a U- turn and hurried back on the same lane, when suddenly, a few men crossing on a bike passed filthy comments. I ignored them and continued walking.

'Hey, do you need a lift?' shouted one.

'Or do you need a kiss?' continued the other. I was already distressed and their words made me even more furious. I was definitely not amongst those girls who knew to fight back; in fact I was amongst those who would run away from such people. Hence I started running. I didn't look back and sprinted for a few miles until I faced the street light. I turned back to see if they were following me but couldn't find anyone. Taking a deep breath I started my walk back home.

'Were they behind you?' interrupted the same husky voice from behind thus scaring me. I quickly turned and frowned at him.

'You are still here?' asked I with a pinch of doubt. His intentions didn't seem good to me.

'Actually, I saw you going through the abandoned lane and hence decided to follow you. I wanted to make sure that you were fine' he smiled but I wasn't pleased.

'What bothers you? I can take care of myself do you get it?' I said grumpily and tried to walk past him but he blocked my way.

'I know, but still I felt that the road you were taking was not safe. Hence I followed you, and what is the big deal in it?' His eyebrow lifted demanding an explanation.

'The deal is that I don't need your help,' I exasperated and walked past him.

-------------------------------------------------

'That's it, you asked me for one story and I narrated it. Now it's time for nap' I covered her with a blanket and gently caressed her hair.

'But ma....' Before she could complete I held her tight within my arms.

'No, I won't listen to you. Now quickly go to sleep,' said I and patted on her back as she gradually closed her eyes.

'I promise you, that I will never make you realize the absence of a father. I will do it all for you Aarohi and we will soon leave this house.' muttered I and switched off the lights.

After today's incident I had made up my mind that, I would take Aarohi with me to my school. I had no belief on my family as they could hurt my child anytime, and I was very particular about her safety and happiness.

Next morning,

'Aarohi beta, are you ready?' I walked to my room to check her out. She was standing in front of the mirror and trying to comb her hair.

'This is so cute? My princess has grown up,' said I and went ahead to help her.

'Yes ma, I am a big girl now and I can do my work alone' said she and insisted me to stay out but I refused to listen.

'But I won't let your cute little hands take so much of pain' I kissed on her palm, and instantly she chuckled.

'I love you my Shona' I hugged her tight and helped her tie the pony tails which stood erect without curving down on both sides.

'Love you too Mumma' said she, a cute smile spread in both our faces as I cuddled her.

'Now shall we start? I am getting late for school' said I. She nodded and gestured me to lift her while I followed her instructions and we started.

After yesterday's incident, I had decided to make our own food without depending on anyone. Hence I got up early in the morning, made breakfast for us and packed our lunches to avoid any controversies. Yes, it was tough to wake up by 5am but I somehow managed. Like usual days, the first alarm wasn't efficient as I just switched it off and continued my nap. But the second one forced me to leave the bed. It sucked but I held on to my nerves for Aarohi.