Chapter 4 - New beginnings

'Hello Ms. Netra, welcome to G.P. K Public School.' said Mrs. Devika Verma, the principal of the school. She was a short- tempered and an arrogant lady. I had enquired about her from the students on the day of my interview. She was no one's favourite and wore similar specs to that of the principal in 3 idiots. She was the lady Hitler of our school and never forgives anyone for their mistake.

'Thank you, ma'am,' I smiled. Well just in case if you are wondering about my English slang. Let me clarify it, I speak better English unlike those who speak with Bihari touch in it.

'We are so glad to have you with us, but...' she paused as I gazed at her. 'please make sure that you do not discuss to anyone about you being a widow,' said she leaving me perplexed. I understood nothing.

What has me being a widow to do with my profession? I kept wondering. Her words had left me befuddled as I quickly lifted my eyebrow demanding for an explanation.

'You very well know about this world, Ms. Netra. Everyone considers a widow as a bad omen. Though things are better than what used to be there years back, but still it's a kind of caution to you. The parents of our students belong to a higher society, and they might not like a widow teaching their kids. So it's for the betterment of the school and you. Please, discuss nothing with anyone.' said she, my face changed color instantly. Then why the hell did she give me this job? She should have denied it on that day itself. Her words had left me fuming.

I didn't expect such a statement from her, and why would I? It was not my fault. He died because he had the habit of drinking and smoking. I didn't kill him, so why would people call me a bad omen or Manhoos? This isn't fair; I thought to myself and simply nodded my head. My hands were tied. If I spoke anything against her, then she would easily chuck me out of the school and I could not let that happen. This job was very important for me and I was ready to compromise.

'Good, so you have to take the demo class for 4 'B'

'Only one class?' asked I.

I would have sounded like a fool. How many classes will they allot in a demo session? I realized the stupidity in my question and let out my tongue.

'Yes, today since it is a demo class you will handle only one class. You will have two periods in that class today the 4th period and the last one. Any doubts?'

'No, thank you' said I and sprinted out of her cabin thus knocking on someone.

'I am so sorry,' I exclaimed as the books in her hand landed on the floor.

'Careful dear,' she smiled and had her eyes fixed on me. She was a medium height, fair lady with big round eyes, like those of classical dancers and had her hair tied to the top. She wore a red saree and looked more or less like a Bengali. With a big round bindi, eyes full of kajal and a dark red lipstick. Her blouse was deep and she looked elegant.

'I didn't notice you,' I gasped, and bent down to pick up her books. 'Sorry again' said I and gave her the books. She took it from me and kept gazing.

'That's fine. In fact, I am sorry because I heard your conversation with the principal. Even I don't believe in all these stuff. Being a widow is not a sin.' said she. Her words left me startled.

Was she listening to my conversation all this while? I wondered and stood annoyed. I always hated those who listen to others conversation intentionally.

'I am sorry if I annoyed you but I couldn't help it. When I heard the principal call you a widow I stood still and listened to your conversation.' said she.

I didn't utter a single word and scanned her from top to bottom. 'Who are you?' I asked after a long pause.

'I am Anuya Banerjee, English teacher for the middle school,' said she