Chapter 4

Alex's P.O.V

~8 days later~

*Dream*

I was sitting in the parlor at the boarding house as I drank some bourbon. I turned to see Damon coming down the stairs, and he smiled at me. He started to pour himself a glass of bourbon when we heard the front door open. "Guess Stefan's home from his date with Elena," Damon said, and I nodded. He drank his bourbon and then sat next to me on the couch. We expected Stefan to walk in, but it had been a few minutes since the front door opened and we never heard it close.

"Stefan?" I asked. Damon stood up to go and see what was happening. I stood up as well, but he stopped me.

"No, you stay here," Damon said.

"Damon-"

"Stay." He commanded, and I stared at him for a few minutes, before nodding.

Damon walked into the next room, and I heard some grunting. I tried to move, but I couldn't, and I heard someone speed up behind me. They took one side of my hair and placed it on the other side. I felt their breath on my neck, and my own became shaky.

"There's no need to be afraid of me, darling." The person said, and the voice sounded familiar — the phone call.

"You're the guy, the one who called me," I said, and he hummed in agreement. "Why are you here?"

"I wanted to see you." He said as his hand rubs up and down my arm. I closed my eyes, trying to regain some form of courage.

"What did you do to my brothers?" I asked him, and I swear I could hear the smile he was wearing in his answer.

"I killed them."

*Reality*

I shot up in my bed, with heavy breathing as I wiped the sweat from my forehead. I looked around to see that was still in the cabin. "It was a dream." I laid back down and closed my eyes as I started to slow down my breathing. "It was all a dream," I whispered to myself. I sped downstairs and started to make some coffee. Then noticed my little brother had left me a voicemail last night. Stefan had been calling me ever since I left. I clicked it and listened.

"Alex," I heard my little brother say. "It's, um-- it's Stefan." I hesitated on ending the voicemail there but kept listening. "I know your scared...of everything that's been happening." No, you don't. "I guess that's why I'm calling you and not Damon." I laughed a little. "We got rid of Elijah...just thought you like to know that. We also found out that an Original can compel vampires, so you might want to start drinking vervain." To say I was shocked is an understatement. "Look, you don't have to come home yet if you don't want to. You should know that we're going to make the house safe again so Klaus can't come near you." Stefan explained. "I miss you, you know and so does Damon...but you know him, he'll take that secret to his grave." Stefan chuckled over the phone. "Come home, sister. I love you."

The voicemail ended, and I dropped my head. Maybe it was time to come home. Plus I needed to see my brothers after that dream I had. It's been a while since I've had nightmares like that. I drank my coffee and sped upstairs, then began to pack.

~At the Boarding House~

I opened up the door to my house and stopped when an invisible force wouldn't let me in. "Look who decided to show up." My older brother said when he saw me. I looked at him and noticed that Elena, Bonnie, and Stefan were there too.

"I got homesick, now will you let me in," I said, and Elena turned to me.

"Come in," Elena said, and I looked at her, confused. I tried to walk in again and succeeded. I dropped my duffle bag at the door and walked over to where my brothers were standing.