Chapter 13

Alex's P.O.V

Hours. That's how long it had taken me to find Ray. The sun was starting to go down, and I still haven't seen Ray exactly. I was tracking his scent, but all that lead me to was footprints, and random scratches on trees, and then I heard a voice that sounds way too familiar. "These ropes aren't gonna hold him for much longer." I walked towards the voice and hid behind a tree when I saw Damon, Elena, and Alaric tying up Ray to a tree. Elena was pouring something on the ropes as Alaric walked over to her. "What else do we have?"

"Ric, here. Take these." Elena said to him. Goddamnit Damon! Is it that hard to keep Elena in Mystic Falls? If Klaus finds out, shit is going to go down, and we're all going to die. Now I know why Stefan seemed like he wanted to leave earlier, he probably heard them. I watched as Damon turned to take the ropes from Elena. But he let go of them dilated when they burned him — vervain ropes, smart choice.

"Aah! Ow!" Damon hissed.

"I said, Ric," Elena said to him when Damon glared. I moved so Damon wouldn't see me standing a few feet behind Elena.

"All right, let me see," Alaric said and took the ropes. I looked at them again to see Alaric tying Ray with them. "All right, that's the last of the vervain. We don't have enough stuff to hold him." Elena put the water bottle away in her bag while Damon wiped the vervain off his hands. They all backed up and looked at Ray. "I don't think we're gonna make that ridge before the full moon." Elena started to walk up to Ray.

"If we can get him to talk, we don't have to," Elena said to them. No, bad idea! Damon for god's sake stop her! I was about to make myself known to them because Damon wasn't going to stop Elena. But I stayed when Ray woke up with a gasp. His bones started to crack, and he screamed. Shit!

"Is he turning?" Damon asked. I looked at the sky and saw the sun hadn't gone down yet. Can we shift into a wolf whenever we want? Alright, that's it. I'm sick of Klaus not telling me stuff about beginning a Hybrid. Screw Klaus and his plans, I can figure this out on my own. 

"It's impossible." Elena looked at the sky then back at Ray as he screamed. "It's still daylight." She said.

"Tell him that," Alaric said to her. Damon walked up to Ray and held him back by the shoulders before he looked at Elena.

"There aren't supposed to be werewolves out here until the moon is full." Elena insisted.

"You know, those ropes aren't gonna hold the wolf," Alaric said to Damon, who was pinning Ray to the tree. I watched as Ray lashed out at Damon. His eyes turned gold, and his fangs came out.

Elena looked conflicted on whether to stay and continue looking for Stefan, or turn around and run. She then stepped towards Damon a bit. "Damon, we've got to get out of here," Elena said. "We gotta get out of these mountains now!" Damon still had a shifting Ray pinned up, and Elena hit his back. "Damon, now!" She yelled. Damon let go, and they ran for it while Ray continued to shift.

I knew I couldn't stop Ray from shifting into a wolf, snapping his neck wouldn't keep him down, so I kept my distance from him. He broke the ropes and turned entirely as the sun went down. By the time the moon took the sun's place, Ray had sped off in the direction of Damon, Alaric, and Elena ran in. I was conflicted. Should I help my brother and let myself be known to them? But if I do that, then Elena will know I'm here, and if she knows I'm here then she knows Stefan is as well. Then everything Damon and Stefan have done to protect their beloved human will be undone because Elena couldn't understand that fact that she is supposed to remain dead in Klaus's eyes.