Chapter 32

Alex's P.O.V

Everybody had finished their food when Elijah had his hands folded under his chin as he turned to my little brother. "Stefan," My little brother hummed in acknowledgment. "Where is the lovely Elena tonight?" Elijah asked as we all looked at him.

"I don't know. Ask Damon," Stefan answered. Add her name to the list of things not to bring up tonight. Klaus laughed, and Elijah looked at his brother confused, but Rebekah held the same of the expression in her face.

"I'm sorry, you've missed so much," Klaus said to them. "Ah, trouble in paradise." Yeah, that's one way to put it.

"One more word about Elena, and, uh, this dinner's over," Stefan told them. Klaus smiled smugly and put a finger to his lips as a promise to keep quiet about Elena.

"You know what, probably best just to keep Elena in the do-not-discuss pile," Damon said to the three Mikaelson in front of us.

"You're probably right," Klaus agreed.

"Yeah," Damon muttered.

"It's just the allure of the Petrova doppelgänger, is still so strong," Klaus announced as he leaned back in his chair and put his silverware onto his plate. "What do you say, brother? Should we tell them about Tatia?" Klaus asked him.

"Now why should we discuss matters long since resolved?" Elijah laughed as he placed his napkin on the table. Rebekah grabbed her wine glass and seemed annoyed by the subject.

"Yes, must we bring her up now, Niklaus?" Rebekah asked her older brother.

"Well, sister, given their shared affection for both Elena and Katerina, I think our guests might be curious to learn about the originator of the Petrova line," Klaus explained, and I gave Rebekah a knowing looking, understanding why she was so annoyed with the topic now. My little brother was staring at Klaus, annoyed that he wouldn't drop the subject, and I grabbed my wine glass as well.

"Well, we're not going anywhere, Elijah," Damon said as Stefan looked at our older brother. "Please, do tell," Damon encouraged while picking up his wine glass.

Elijah hesitated for a moment before speaking, "When our family first settled here, there was a girl named Tatia. She was an exquisite beauty," Elijah paused and bit his tongue for a moment before continuing. "Every boy of age desired to be her suitor," Elijah and Klaus looked at each other and Rebekah took another sip of her wine. "Even though she'd had a child by another man and none loved her more than Niklaus."

Klaus looked upward, as though he was remembering something, and said, "I'd say there was one who loved her just as much." Elijah and Klaus looked at each other.

"Wait a minute," Stefan said, sounding as if he was now interested in the subject. "You two fell in love with the same girl?" Stefan asked as he pointed to both of them and chuckled.

"Our mother was a very powerful witch. She sought to end our feud over Tatia, and so she took her," Elijah said as he looked at Stefan. "Klaus and I would later learn that it was Tatia's blood that we consumed in the wine, on the night our mother performed the spell which turned us into vampires," Elijah explained, and I placed my glass back on the table softly as Elijah grabbed his. "Tatia wouldn't decide between the two of us, so for a time Niklaus and I...grew estranged. Harsh words were traded, we even came to blows, didn't we, brother?" Elijah asked Klaus.

"But in the end, we realized the sacred bond of family," Klaus said and sat up as he looked at my little brother.

"Family above...All," Elijah said as he raised his glass into the air.

Klaus repeated, "Family above all," before they clinked glasses and took a sip of their drinks. My siblings and I shared a look; then I noticed Rebekah sit up in her seat once her brothers finished talking.