Chapter 43

Alex's P.O.V

One day.

We were gone for one day before we had to turn around and come back to Mystic Falls.

Klaus and I were on our way to Chicago when he got the call. Apparently, someone shot Tyler when they were having a memorial for some people who died in an explosion the same night we left. But that's not what made Klaus turn around; he turned around because the same person sent a man after Tyler while he was in the hospital. I complained, but Klaus was determined to protect Tyler since he was one of the few hybrids Klaus had left.

That leads us to where I am right now. I knocked on the front door of the Lockwood Mansion and looked down at my watch. It was about 6 am. I was hoping Carol was up. Three of Klaus' hybrids stood behind us with Victor and Daniel. The door opened, and I saw Carol all dressed up and ready to leave.

"Alex, Klaus," Carol said with a smile, but you could hear the surprise in her voice. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, we heard Tyler was attacked and thought it was best to give proper security considering how yours failed," Klaus answered and she looked at me.

"Klaus won't leave until you let him in Carol," I said to her as a warning, and she gave Klaus another tight-lipped smile after she thought it over.

"Come in." The six of us walked in after she moved out of the way. "Make yourself at home," Carol said to us, and I turned to her.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"To get Tyler from the hospital," Carol answered me. "There's food and drinks in the fridge, as well as some blood bags." She walked out of the house, closing the door behind her. I turned to Klaus as he started a conversation with three of the hybrids. Victor and Daniel walked over to me, and I turned to them.

"What do you want us to do?" Victor asked me.

"Get any information on the person who shot Tyler and the guy working for them. The sooner we find out who they are and what they want, the better," I explained, and they nodded before leaving the mansion. Klaus walked up to me as Victor closed the door behind them.

"Where are they going?" Klaus asked me.

"To find out more information on the shooter and their accomplice." He hummed as he wrapped his arms around my waist, bringing me into his chest. "Did you really have to be that rude to Carol?" I asked him as I played with the collar of his jacket.

"What do you mean, love? I was only stating the fact that no human deputy can protect him from the enemies he now faces," Klaus told me, and I rolled my eyes as I looked up at him. I stepped out of his arms and made my way to the living room, waiting for Carol to return with Tyler.

~

It had been an hour before the front door opened. I was leaning against Klaus' chest as we sat on the couch together. Victor and Daniel were not back yet with any new information. Two of Klaus' hybrids were standing outside in the foyer while one stayed with us in the living room. It felt weird to be always surrounded by bodyguards. I hated it. I felt like I was being watched.

I heard two people walk in as the door softly closed behind them. Carol must be back with Tyler. " Who the hell are you two? " I heard Tyler asked the hybrids in the foyer.

" Tyler it's ok. They're here for your protection, " Carol said, and I stood up when I heard Tyler's frustration.

" More deputies? " Tyler asked his mother, and Klaus and I walked into the foyer.

"Better than that I hope," I said, and he looked at me.

"Hybrids," Tyler groaned.

"We were halfway to Chicago when I heard you were attacked. I had hoped to leave Mystic Falls with Alex for good, but duty calls," Klaus told him.