Chapter 42

Alex's P.O.V

Birds were chirping. The sun was shining. The world seemed happy. But I wasn't. The love of my life was ripped away from me. My soulmate was burnt to ash in a coffin in a basement of a storage unit.

Maybe my father was right.

Maybe monsters shouldn't be happy.

I heard a knock on my bedroom door, but I didn't answer. I just stayed still, laying on my side with my arm tucked under my pillow, staring out of my window. "Alex?" A voice called from outside my room. It was Victor. He's been checking in on me every since Elijah brought me home last night. "You need to get up, Alex, you've been in bed all day," He said, but I still didn't move.

What was the point of getting out of bed? Klaus wasn't here anymore.

I was still alive though, meaning Damon and Stefan were too, but they haven't come home yet. I doubt they cared about me anymore. They knew why I was heartbroken, and even if they did care about me, they wouldn't care for why I was so depressed. They don't care about Klaus, and I'm sure Damon still thinks Klaus compelled me or something. Then I didn't know what Stefan thought. He'd probably be careful around me even if he is happy Klaus was dead.

Someone walked in front of the window and bent down in front of me. I didn't even hear him come into my room. Victor looked at me, as he bent down to my eye level, and sighed. "Fine if you won't get up then you can listen to everything that happened last night," Victor said to me as he sat on the floor and leaned against the side of my bed.

"Klaus died," I told him in a monotone voice. "That's what happened."

"I know, but some other stuff happened as well," Victor said softly. "Alaric outed Liz, Carol, and Damon to the council. From what they told me Tyler and Caroline are on the run. Alaric's dead," I looked down at him, though I could only see the top of his head. "His life was connected to Elena's, so when Rebekah forced Matt's car to go off the bridge with Elena and him inside, she died." Victor paused for a moment. "Matt lived. Elena didn't. It turns out she went to the hospital earlier that night, and Meredith gave her vampire blood to heal her."

"So Elena's a vampire now?" I asked him, and he looked up at me. "Fantastic," I said sarcastically and went back to staring at the window. Victor stood up with an annoyed sigh as he placed his hands on his hips.

"Ok, that's it." He pulled the covers off me. I was still in my clothes from last night, and I glared at Victor, though I didn't sit up. "Get up. You can't stay in bed all day. I know you're heartbroken and I'm sorry, but you need to go down to the cellar at least and get some blood." He then walked to my bedroom door. "You better be out of that bed when I get back," Victor scolded as he slammed my bedroom door shut.

I laid there for another hour before sighing and deciding that I should get up. I walked over to the bathroom and took a shower. Once another hour went by while I was in there, I stepped out and was about to get dressed when I got a text from Victor. " Get out of the house. The Council is looking for you, " it read, and I huffed.

Then I heard the front door being kicked in downstairs, and I heard only two people in my house. One voice said " No one's here, " and the other said, " Let's check upstairs. " I stuffed my outfit and phone in a duffle bag, then left it on the floor by my window. While the footsteps ran upstairs, I shifted into my wolf form and waited in the bathroom ready to pounce at anyone who came into my room.

Two men came in with a gun and crossbow. They looked around my room confused than one of them spotted me. The other one turned to see me as well, and I growled at them. I then ran up to one of them and tackled him to the floor before tearing out his throat. I looked at the other one, and he shot his gun at me, but his shaking hand made him miss every time as I ran to him and ripped him apart. I then ran to the duffle bag on my floor and grabbed it with my bloody teeth, before jumping out my window and running into the woods.