Chapter 24

Alex's P.O.V

"So, vampirism was a form of protection?" I asked her as we walked down the stairs. I hadn't seen that coming.

"What else would it be?" She asked as if it was the only answer.

"I always thought it was a curse," I stated.

"My parents only saw a way of keeping their children alive." She said.

"Yeah, but why stay, if they were so afraid of the werewolves? Why not...leave?" Elena asked.

"Pride...My father didn't want to run anymore. He wanted to fight and be superior to the wolves. Where they could bite, we had to bite harder. Where they had speed, we had to be faster. Agility, strength, senses. And since Ayana wouldn't help, my father put the burden in my mother's hands." She explained

"In her hands? How could she do anything?" Elena asked.

"Because my mother was also a witch," Rebekah answered.

"What?" I asked.

"The witch of the Original Family. The Original Witch?" She said, and we walked into the library. I sat down on the couch. Elena came and sat next to me while Rebekah looked through the shelves.

"Where do you guys keep you're the best vintage?" Rebekah asked me. I walked over to the bookshelf and pulled away three books to reveal a bottle of wine.

"Here try this. It's our families specialty, circa 1860, Potenza, Italy." I said as I handed her the bottle and sat back down on the couch with Elena.

"But if your mother was a witch, then..." Elena started, but Rebekah cut her off.

"Am I?" She asked. "No, a witch is nature's servant; a vampire is an abomination of nature. You can either be one or the other, never both. My mother did this for us. She did not turn."

"How did you turn?" I asked her.

"Our mother called upon the sun for life, and the ancient white oak tree, one of nature's eternal objects, for immortality. That night, my father offered us wine laced with blood. And then he drove his sword through our hearts." I instantly thought of my dream. The stab wound in Klaus's chest, now it made sense. But the fact that Klaus's father killed him triggered me to have flashes of my father killing me.

"He killed you?" Elena asked in a shocked whisper.

"And he wasn't delicate about it either," Rebekah said. She takes a bottle of wine, breaks its neck off with one motion of her hand and throws the piece of glass into the fireplace. "We had to drink more blood to complete the ritual." The memory of me killing Erin ran through my head.

"It was euphoric! The feeling of power was indescribable...but the witch Ayana was right about the consequences. The spirits turned on us, and nature fought back...For every strength, there would be a weakness...The sun became our enemy. It kept us indoors for weeks...And though my mother found a solution, there were other problems...Neighbors who had opened their homes to us could now keep us out. Flowers at the base of the white oak burned and prevented compulsion. And the spell decreed that the tree that gave us life could also take it away...so we burned it to the ground. But the darkest consequence was something my parents never anticipated...Hunger. Blood...had made us reborn and it was blood that we craved above all else. We could not control it...And with that, the predatory species was born..." Rebekah explained.

"So, why did Mikael start hunting Klaus?" Elena asked her.

"When Nik made his first human kill, it triggered his werewolf gene. With that, he became my father's greatest shame." Rebekah stated.