02

"You sure you're ready for this?"

"I've told you 20 times. Yes, I'm ready." Eddie rolled his eyes at his friend's overprotective tendencies. "I was born to do this."

Eddie's friend, Mike, snickered at Eddie's confidence. "You say that now, but I don't want you to freeze and get hurt."

"I won't get hurt. It's supposed to be an easy job."

"They're all supposed to be easy. Just be ready to run, Eddie. I don't want you to get caught."

From the front of the van that the pair were speaking in, an obnoxious laugh rang out.

Beverly Marsh, one of Eddie's closest friends, sat in the passenger seat of the van, feet on the dashboard. She was smiling brightly, despite the knowledge that they would soon be taking part in an illegal drug trade, and the chance of people running after them would be very high.

"What's so funny, Bev?" Eddie asked, glaring.

"I just think it's funny that out of all of us here, we're sending in the one who literally can't run because he has asthma," she responded, her blue eyes dazzling with her grin.

"Fuck off, Bev," Eddie muttered as the others in the van burst into laughter with her. He tucked his inhaler into the pocket of his jacket, ignoring the snicker from Mike.

They all tried to keep their spirits up. It was their first official job as members of the Hive, an illegal organization that they were all born into. It shocked them all that the Hive's leader sent the 4 newest members on a mission states away in New York City, but none of them were complaining. It was their chance to prove themselves to the leader and to their families who worked in the Hive.

"We're almost at the meeting spot. Ready?" asked the designated driver, Stan.

Eddie took in a shaky breath. Since he had been born, he knew his father loved him, but he still wanted to prove he belonged as a real member; not just the son of a high ranking member.

"Good luck, Eddie." Beverly said.

"We'll see you soon, Eddie," Mike said with a reassuring smile.

They knew they were supposed to be professional, but that didn't stop the worry that all of the friends felt for each other. They had all grown up as members, only allowed to trust each other. Even then they were always told not to trust anyone.

They all decided that was a stupid rule and trusted each other anyway.

"COMS are up?" Stan asked after he parked, climbing into the back of the van, Bev following closely.

Eddie nodded, placing his in his ear. He then took the briefcase that Mike had pulled out from under a seat, holding it firmly in his hand.

"See you in a bit," Eddie said with a faint smile before exiting the van.

•••
When he reached the club that he had been instructed to go to, Eddie pulled out his fake ID.

The man standing in front of the door looked at it from behind his black sunglasses, as if he was hoping to find an error. He sighed and opened the door, handing Eddie his ID back.

"I'm in," Eddie murmured once he had gotten inside.

"Yay Eddie! First success as a new member!" Bev shrieked into his ear.

Eddie winced at the sound but ignored it for the most part, hoping that no one would pay him any attention.

"Okay, Eddie. Go to the bar and sit on the third stool from the left. Order two whiskies and the buyer should show up in about four minutes. Got that?" Stan said.

Eddie smirked a little at Stan's desire to keep everything in order. Stan always insisted every job could go without mess, and while Eddie believed it, he also found it more fun when there was a little bit of a mess. It allowed him to show that he wasn't afraid of anyone.

"Don't worry, Stanley. I know the plan," Eddie said, making his way to the bar.

Once he ordered, Eddie felt a person turn up beside him.

"Mr. Clarke?" a deep voice asked from beside Eddie.

"That's what my ID says," Eddie responded coolly.

His father's words echoed in his head. "Only those you trust the most can know your real name."

"You got the goods?" the man asked. He seemed rushed, like he wanted to get the exchange over with.

"I do, but I'm in no rush." Eddie smiled and pushed the drink beside his toward the man. "Now, what was your name?"

"That's none of your concern, kid."

"If we're working together, I think it is my concern."

The man took a sip of his drink and chuckled darkly. "We don't work together. We exchange goods and don't speak. This must be your first job, huh?"

Eddie felt his face go pale.

"Get the exchange over with, Eddie. We can't back you up from where we are without making a mess. Plus there's only four of us,"
Mike's voice rang in Eddie's ear.

Eddie forced a laugh and reached for the briefcase to finalize their exchange, but the man grabbed his arm.

Eddie tried to pull away but the man had an iron grip on his arm.

"You don't have any backup either, huh? Must be why you're suddenly so uncomfortable, isn't it?"

"I'd like to do our business, sir," Eddie said, trying to keep a firm glare.

The man smiled, showing yellow teeth. His breath smelled of the whisky and Eddie felt like he suddenly needed his inhaler.

"Get out of there, Eddie!" Bev said nervously.

"Why don't you follow me?" the man asked. "Don't even try to run. We've got eyes all over the place, and we know where your van with your little friends is parked. And we know that you've been communicating with them."

Eddie didn't think twice before slamming his fist into the man's nose. He obviously wasn't expecting it. Panicked, Eddie ran toward the exit and to the van.

"Start the van!" he yelled, hoping that his friends wouldn't be fear stricken and not react.

To his relief, the van was started and Bev was standing by the door, yelling at him to hurry. He heard yells behind him, but didn't slow down.

The van peeled from its parking spot as the group tried to get away.

"So much for our first job," Eddie grumbled.