27

Richie had been sitting in the Analysis Room for three hours, trying to think through his plan. He needed a quiet space but couldn't bare to go back to his room; Eddie and him switched which room they'd share every night, so the memories were too fresh and made Richie sick to his stomach.

Richie had spent an hour clicking away, trying to narrow where Eddie could be, but he couldn't focus. He was too upset and afraid, so he retreated to the couch and laid on his back, squeezing a stress ball. He needed to get Eddie back. It wasn't up for negotiation. He had to save him.

The other teenagers had come and gone, trying to see how to help Richie. They weren't assigned to another job, so they decided that they couldn't let him be stuck in his own head. It wasn't safe to let him think himself to sickness.

"Hey, Rich?" Stan whispered, opening the door.

Richie didn't say anything, but looked over to the door.

"We were wondering if you wanted to come work out. It may be a way to get your mind off of everything."

"Nah, I'm okay. I'm running analysis on all of the cameras we have access to around the country to try to get a hit. If I get one I can't be away," Richie said, sitting up and giving Stan a weak smile.

"But-" Stan was cut off by a beeping from one of the screens.

Richie nearly face planted from springing up from the couch so fast. His eyes moved rapidly across the screen, looking for whatever had made the computer go off.

"Go get the others, Stan. I've got Bowers!" Richie said, eyes fixed on the screen in an angry focus.

Stan furrowed his eyebrows. "Shouldn't we tell the superiors?"

Richie glared at him. "They don't plan on leaving until tomorrow night, Stan. If I show them this it won't make them move any quicker. We need to save Eddie."

Stan wasn't surprised Richie said that, but visibly disagreed. "We were caught leaving once already-"

"I don't care! Eddie is in danger and I need to get him back! You grew up with him! How can you sit around and do nothing?!" Richie snapped at Stan.

Stan was shocked. He knew there was some truth to what Richie had said, so he stopped fighting. He gave Richie one last confused look before disappearing down the hall to find the others.

•••

Within minutes, the others made their way to the Analysis Room, eager to see why Stan had urgently yelled at them to meet on such short notice. They all sat close together on the couch as Richie sat on a chair facing them, the computer just behind him.

"W-what's so im-important that we had t-to meet here on s-such short notice?" Bill asked, leaning into Stan's side.

"I got a location, I think. Security cameras showing our dear friend Henry Bowers in New York," Richie informed the group who all nodded approvingly.

"We need to get this to the superiors," Ben said, standing up.

Richie stepped forward and pushed Ben so he was sitting down again. "Au contraire, Benny boy. The superiors aren't going to leave until tomorrow night, but who knows what could happen to Eds in that time? I know it's protocol to make sure that everything's in order so they can leave, but it's too long. We need to go after him."

Bev narrowed her eyes. "We're not allowed to leave."

"No shit," Richie said, rolling his eyes. "I know that, but we can't just sit here while Eddie could be injured or tortured. That guy literally shot me after two minutes-"

"Who wouldn't?" Stan murmured, causing Bill to snort, earning them both a glare from Richie.

"As I was saying Staniel, Eddie could be hurt and we need to save him. I don't give a fuck whether you guys come, but I'm going after him." Richie looked around at the group and they could all tell that he didn't want to go alone.

Bev stood up next to Richie. "He's right. Eddie saved me from my dad, and he's our team leader. We have to save him."

The others all exchanged nervous glances.

Richie sighed sadly, glancing between the others. "Cover for us then," he said, leaving the Analysis Room.

Twenty minutes later, Bev and Richie stood in Eddie's room. Eddie, being the paranoid person he was, always had a collection of knives and COMs under his bed. Bev knew about them and showed Richie, who tucked them safely into his bag.

They made their way to the stairs, where no one was guarding. After the issue with the guards being attacked and Eddie vanishing, the superiors said no one needed to guard. They assumed with the situation at hand, the teenagers wouldn't try to leave and would wait for orders.

Bev and Richie climbed up the stairs and out the door, walking away from the Hive.

"How are we getting to New York?" Bev asked.

Richie shrugged. "Taxi?"

Bev sighed but followed as Richie walked toward the main town centre of Derry. As soon as they got there and began looking for some kind of taxi, a large black van pulled up next to them.

"Get in, fuckers," Stan said, leaning out the window.

The side door opened revealing Mike and Ben in the back, while Bill occupied the passenger seat.

"What are you doing here?" Richie asked, after he and Bev had climbed into the van.

"We realized that you're right. We need to save Eddie. He's one of our best friends, and there's no reason we should even consider not going after him," Mike said, handing Richie a tablet to start tracking down where the Scorpions were hiding.

Richie smiled at the group of people who had become family. "Thanks, guys."

"Don't thank us yet. We still have to save the bitch," Stan called as Bill pointed out which road to take.

"How dare you call my precious baby a bitch, Stan?!" Richie cried dramatically, laying on the ground with his hand over his heart.

They all laughed nervously, trying to defeat the nerves that had balled in their stomachs. The truth was, none of them were ready, and none of them were positive they'd make it home alive.