13

The knowledge of a new member within the Hive spread like a wildfire. It didn't take a full three hours it to spread. Everyone who hadn't met Richie or knew about the mission was shocked that they allowed someone who wasn't born into the organization to join.

The first acknowledgment Richie received was not long after his testing. After he was released by Ben and Bill, Eddie had shown him to the large, open room where they ate meals, then disappeared to talk to his father. So, Richie sat alone at the table, waiting for Eddie to come back or for one of their other friends to sit with him.

A heavy thud next to him told Richie he was no longer sitting alone, but no one he knew could have sat down that heavily. Richie turned around to meet the angry expression of a boy with brownish hair and a muscular body sitting next to him.

"You're the new kid?" he asked in a rough voice.

"I guess you could say that," Richie responded in a small voice, wishing that someone he knew was with him.

The boy barked out a laugh, but his face showed no humor. "Don't expect to be around here long. You're not one of us. You and that slut aren't going to be here forever, so watch your back."

"Slut?" Richie thought to himself. From what he had learned, everyone he knew was a member, so what the hell was this kid talking about? "I don't really understand. My test scores are some of the highest and I passed all of the tests. Is that a problem?"

The boy looked even angrier. "People aren't recruited here. They're born into this place and they grow up here. You and the slut are the only two who weren't born into this life, and you two won't be staying forever. In fact, I'd be surprised if you last though training."

"I think I'll be fine, thanks for the warning," Richie said in a cocky voice. Richie obviously wasn't stupid. He knew that the kid was trying to intimidate him. He may have had no clue what was going on, but knew that he could get an explanation later. The kid in front of him seemed like an asshole, and Richie was never one to back down when it came to people trying to threaten him.

"I don't know who you think you are, but you should watch how you talk to me."

"Why's that? Because you're bigger than me? You don't scare me, bud."

It seemed as though a fire ignited itself in the boy's eyes. He grabbed the front of Richie's shirt and pulled him to his feet.

Richie could see the anger in his eyes and how tightly his jaw was clenched. He almost regretted talking, but he had taken a beating before. He could handle it.

"You should learn when to keep your mouth shut," the boy whispered into his ear, pulling his fist back.

Richie shut his eyes waiting for the blow, but it never came. Instead, a loud yell rang across the cafeteria.

"H-Henry! L-leave him a-alone!"

Almost instantly, Richie felt the grip on his shirt release and he fell to the ground. The boy who had attacked him gave him one last look, before walking away.

Bill ran over to Richie and offered a hand, which Richie gratefully took.

"A-are you okay?" Bill asked after they were both standing. Richie nodded and Bill led him away from the cafeteria.

He led him to an empty room where Bev and Ben sat talking. They both smiled in welcoming when Bill and Richie entered and sat down, but stopped when they saw the angry look on Bill's face.

"What happened?" Bev asked, looking between the two.

"B-Bowers," Bill said with an eye roll.

Bev clenched her jaw and Ben shook his head.