43

I am so sorry in advance :)

"I trust that everything went somewhat smoothly?" Donald asked, not allowing Sharon and Zack to greet the boys.

"Yes," Eddie and Stan said together, firmly and confidently.

"How did you find her?"

Stan took the lead. "We went to the lab, like you said, and they had files buried deep under it. We were also able to scrap up some intel in town, and apparently she left with a family that had lived there and moved here. We showed up but she had too much power and sensed us coming, so she was already ready to leave. We sent the others after her but lost contact with them." Stan let out a fake sniff, but it was very convincing. "We're not even sure if they're alive."

Eddie nodded, forcing tears to well up in his eyes. "We decided to stay behind and wait for you guys. The girl, she was shouting something about the lab not taking her back? I don't understand this whole situation."

Frank stepped forward and pulled Eddie into a tight hug. As he slowly pulled away, he leaned close to his ear. "Trust no one," he whispered, so low Eddie barely caught the words.

Eddie felt his chest tighten and his heart rate pick up. His father knew. Frank fucking knew, and he didn't want Eddie to follow along with the Hive. He wouldn't have said it unless he wanted him to betray.

"I know you have both had a difficult night. Do you have any clue where the girl might have gone?" Zack asked.

"No, sir," Eddie said in a small voice, hating the shake in his voice. Stan was a much better liar.

Zack didn't look convinced, and neither did Donald, who narrowed his eyes.

"Where's the family the girl moved in with?" Donald asked, a devious glint in his eyes.

"They were gone when we got here. I assume she told them to run when she sensed us coming," Stan responded coolly.

Donald ground his teeth together, eyes close to slits. Zack nodded calmly, and Frank held an uncomfortable frown on his face.

Sharon, however, smiled at them calmly. "Can I speak with you both outside? I'd like to go over some things about the mission while the boys go over the scene."

Eddie didn't want to act suspicious, but his father had just told him not to trust anyone. However, he stole one glance at Frank, who gave him a small nod, and decided to follow. Stan did as well, though he looked like he'd rather stay behind.

•••

Sharon sat in the back of the van, closing it once Eddie and Stan had crawled in. It was the teenager van, so it reeked of BO, alcohol, and vomit.

Sharon let out a soft sigh, tears in her eyes catching Stan and Eddie's attention. "I need to know: is Bill alright?" she asked quietly, pulling out her earpiece and crushing it, before tossing it into a water bottle and shaking it up.

Stan and Eddie exchanged a glance.

"I'm not stupid, boys. I know that you're helping the girl escape. Please, is my son alright?" Sharon asked, her voice more firm.

"Yes. He's safe," Stan said timidly.

"Good. I assume you boys know of the lab then? And what the Hive really is?" Sharon waited for a response but it didn't come, so she kept going. "I married Zack and took over leading the Hive with him when I was twenty. He knew what the Hive was, and told me. I supported it at first, but when I learned of the experiments and children with powers, I couldn't support. I learned of them just after I had Bill, and I knew that I'd have to keep it secretive that I didn't agree, or my son could be taken away from me and forced to live a life of killing and hurting people with abilities. So, I faked it. My husband and your father, Stan, are both trying to capture the girl. Eddie's father, myself, and Leroy are trying to protect her. That's why I wanted you on this mission. To find her and help her get away."

Eddie was awestruck at the bravery and boldness that Sharon possessed. "I, I'm not sure what to say."

"Don't say anything. Listen, the Hive sees a lot, but without Ben, Bill, and Richie, the tech in our base is limited. I need you to all get out of the country. It will mean never seeing us again, but it's what's best for you. None of you deserved to grow up as spies without getting to be people. I have passports for you, and there's travel bags that I'll get in your van. You just need to get inside and tell Zack and Donald that you were able to track down one of our members, and that I've assigned you to go find them. Then, leave. Don't ever come back." Sharon was speaking quicker and more urgently.

"Wait, but my dad-," Eddie started, only for Sharon to stop him.

"Your father knows. Take the girl, take your friends, and leave. Take care of my son. I've already sent Georgie away with one of Leroy's relatives in France. Please, get the hell out of here."

Stan gave a small nod, trying to pull Eddie away. Eddie didn't move. "Wait, what happened to the Scorpions? El told us they were killed-"

"Their leader and his son escaped again, to some safe house I assume. They won't be a problem."

That seemed convincing enough for Eddie and Stan. They walked slowly toward the door to the house, but as they got there, a single gunshot rang out. The two shared a terrified look, before sneaking inside. The sight before them nearly made them scream out in pain.

Frank was laying on the floor, bleeding out.

Stan grabbed Eddie's arm, as he tried to fight his way to his father. "Eddie, if you go out there, we both fucking die! Stand down!" Stan snapped, trying to hear what Zack and Donald were saying over the sound of Eddie's fighting.

"That's one traitor down. Do you think Eddie or Stan knows anything about where the girl really went?" came Donald's voice.

"We can ask them. I assume Sharon is telling them the truth and they'll have to pick a side," Zack responded. The door closed behind the two as they walked outside, continuing their conversation.

"Dad!" Eddie cried, diving onto the floor next to Frank, who was breathing shallowly.

"Eddie," frank coughed, smiling weakly. He lifted his hand and touched Eddie's face. "Sharon... told you?"

"Yeah, she did. Dad, you need to get up, we gotta go. We need to find the others and-"

"No. Stop. Son, I'm not going to make it, okay? You need to... you need to find... find Richie and your other... friends. Trust, trust them. And find... find somewhere... safe." Frank was breathing quicker now, his skin paling.

"No, no dad you can't die. I need you," Eddie said, his voice breaking. He set his forehead on Frank's chest, letting out a weak sob. "Please, please don't leave me."

"You're going... going to be... okay. It's alright... I love you, Eddie. And..." he chuckled a little, ignored the blood that dripped out of his mouth. "T-tell Richie, he has... my blessing."

Eddie choked out a harder sob, but smiled anyway. He didn't want the last thing his father saw to be him crying in sadness. "I'll tell him. I love you, dad. Thank you," Eddie whispered, kissing his father's forehead softly as his body stilled.

Frank's chest stopped rising and falling, and Eddie gently closed his eyes.

"Eddie..." Stan said gently, touching his shoulder.

"Let's go. We need to get the others and get out of here," Eddie whispered, running to the backdoor. He knew it was only a matter of time before Zack and Donald started looking for them and tried to kill them.

They ran to the van and saw the bags, but heard yells echo through the woods at the same time. Both felt their blood run cold when they heard an angry yell and another gun shot from where Sharon stood with Zack and Donald.

Terrified, the two quickly grabbed the bags and pulled them over their shoulders, deciding to run for it.

"Stan, I know your dad-" Eddie began once they figured they were out of range.

Stan stopped Eddie, anger in his eyes. "He's not my father anymore. I don't give a fuck if he helped make me, he's a fucking killer. I'm not joining them."

Eddie nodded, and they continued to run in silence. Soon, they'd find the others and get out of the country. They'd come back when they were adults, and that's when they'd finally have their revenge. Eddie narrowed his eyes at the thought. He'd have his revenge.