59

A haze seemed to fill the air, and then sunlight. Eddie smiled seeing the sun glow above the world, outside of the base they were never allowed to leave...

Then, a shadowy figure stood above him, smiling down at him. Eddie instantly recognized the person, and leapt up to hug him tightly.

"Richie!" he cried, burying his face in his shoulder.

"Hey, baby," Richie responded in a gentle voice, sitting down and holding Eddie in his lap.

The sky began to shift, and it darkened, stars shining above them. Richie laid back, and Eddie moved next to him, looking up at the sky above.

"I thought I lost you," Eddie whispered.

"No, never. But I could lose you. You need to wake up Eddie," Richie said softly, facing Eddie and cupping his face in his hand.

"What?"

"Wake up!" Richie yelled.

Eddie shot out of bed, gasping for breath, his head throbbing, clutching his heart. His eyes were blown wide as he looked around him, seeing two doctors sigh in relief.

"You gave us quite the scare," one of them said, smiling.

"Wh-what?" Eddie mumbled, confused. His brain was still trapped in the vivid dream he had just had.

"After you passed out, your friends rushed you here. For some reason your throat closed up and you were without oxygen. We thought we were losing you," the other doctor informed him, sitting down and taking a blood test.

"You friends have been worried for the past week. It's not every day we get several kids rushed to us and an explosion happens in our town."

Eddie shook his head, still confused. "Wait, how long have I been out?" he asked, his voice scratchy.

"Nearly a week. After that explosion... you just stopped functioning," the first doctor said, readjusting an IV that was inserted into Eddie's hand.

Eddie's eyes widened in realization. The explosion had happened just before he passed out.

Richie was in the explosion...

He began to breathe heavily, quicker, and began to feel light headed almost instantly. He felt a terrible pain course through his arm and saw a cast wrapped around his arm, which only made his anxiety worse.

The doctors both shared a panicked look, before rushing forward and looking at Eddie's eyes, his pulse and trying to calm him down.

"Hey, it's alright, everything is going to be okay," one of the doctors cooed, patting his back.

Eddie shook his head, lost for words as he began to sob. His heart rate was sky rocketing as he cried so hard he was forgetting to breathe. He didn't hear the doctors talking quietly, didn't hear the door open, and didn't hear the panicked pounding of feet on the floor of the hospital room.

"Eds? Eds, honey, what's wrong?" came a familiar voice, as a new figure sat on the bed with Eddie, pulling him into his lap.

Eddie blinked, trying to chase away the blur in his vision, trying to focus on the voice. He managed to brush away his tears and almost passed out when he saw who was holding him.

"Richie?" he whispered, barely daring to believe it.

"Duh, Eds. I'm not gonna let Mike hold you, as much as I love that bitch," Richie said with a light laugh.

"B-but the lab... the explosion... you died! You died and... and I thought-"

"Shhh," Richie whispered, trying to stop Eddie from hyperventilating. "I thought I was going to die, too. I thought the building would come crashing down and kill me. It didn't, though. As soon as the missiles launched, I found one of the vents and climbed through it until I got to my room. I hid under the bed and covered my mouth with a shirt so I wouldn't breathe in any toxins, and when it came crashing down, I was okay. It took them a while to find me, but I wasn't really hurt except for a few cuts."