19. Cancerous News

Thanks again for the votes! I enjoy all the feedback. The more votes equals the more chance for a second book! Join the discord server posted on my profile to ask questions and get personal responses from me as well as others.

*Pictured above: Flynn*

This chapter is definitely more emotional. Please be aware of this and enjoy!

*Earlier in Jason's POV*

"Hello? Who is this?" I say, answering the phone. As I answer, my eyes widen and I sink to the floor, nearly in tears. I can barely respond to the caller. I mumble single words. "Ok" and "alright" emerge from my mouth as I find myself barely able to speak.

It feels like I've been punched in the gut. As I end the call, I fall to my knees in tears, struggling to breathe.

*Flynn's present POV*

After a beating Emily in air hockey, Jason gets a phone call. He steps away, taking the call. "I wonder what's up" Ericka says. "Ericka let's go redeem our tickets!" She responds in an upbeat tone.

They both head to the counter. I haven't seen Larson in about ten minutes so I decide to go check up on him.

I walk out the nearby exit on the side of the arcade. My eyes bolden as I see Larson crying on the ground near the curb. He's curled up with his arms wrapped tightly around his legs. I quickly rush towards him, pulling him into an embrace. I don't know what's wrong but I do know that he's never turned his back on me once. No matter the reason for his tears, I'll always stand by him.

He flinches as I touch his arm but calms down as I embrace him closely. "Tell me what happened" I say with concerning eyes. He mumbles his words, making it really hard to understand what he's saying. After some time while trying to get him to calm down, he responds in a more audible voice.

"The nurse called from the hospital.. She said that they did a few more tests on Emma. They found something that looks to be like a virus of some sort. They have to run more tests because they're unsure what exactly it is" He responds to me with a saddened tone.

"Well then we're heading over there" I say to him. "Don't worry Larson, Emma will be okay. We're going to get through this" I respond in a reassuring voice, pulling him closer. I order a taxi on my phone and we head to the hospital.

The entire ride, he looks uncomfortable and startled. I grab his hand and stare at him in his eyes, giving him a reassuring smile. "It's okay" I say to him in a calm voice, almost like a whisper. He tightens his grip around my hand while looking at me with a look of sadness.

I know I shouldn't be thinking this.. But DAMN is he cute in this moment.

We arrive at the hospital and Larson springs up from his seat. I follow behind him, but lose him in a crowed ahead. I enter the hospital, looking around for Larson. He is nowhere in sight, so I assume he already found her room. I walk up to the main desk, asking for Emma's room number. The lady hands me a slip with a number written on it.

I head towards the room number, only to be stopped by one of the nurses. "You can't go in there" She says. "Only one visitor at a time for Miss Larson please" she says to me. I nod my head and sit down in a nearby lobby.

*Jason's POV*

After arriving at the hospital, I rush towards the entrance as fast as I can. I ignore all the useless people in my way and dash for my sister's room. I see the nurse standing in the room and she signals me inside, closing the door behind me. I step in, seeing Emma lay on the bed. I grab her hand and she looks back at me.

"Jason don't worry. I'll be okay I promise" She says to me in a reassuring voice. I give her a half smile and turn towards the nurse. "It looks like we are finishing up some final tests right now. Dr. Brady should be with you very soon. He already went to go grab the results" She says to me, exiting the room.

A few minutes pass and Emma breaks the silence. "Jason, no matter what the doctor says, don't panic. I'm going to be okay alright? I promise" She says to me. "W-What does that mean" I question. She looks down, ignoring my question as the doctor suddenly enters.

"Are you Dr. Brady?" I question the tall man. "Yes, I am. You're Jason Larson, the brother right?" He asks. I nod my head. "Please explain what's happening" I say with worry in my tone.

He pauses, looking at Emma. She nods her head and her eyes tear up, swelling her eye sockets. "Um, w-what am I missing?" I ask in confusion.

The doctor has a pain look on his face as he opens a clip board.

"Mr. Larson, we seem to have run across an issue with one of Emma's tests. You see, we tested Emma for many different things and they all came back negative, except for one specific test. That particular test is for Large Cell Carcinoma. This is a type lung cancer, mainly found in smokers. Emma is not a smoker, however the cancer was still able to form inside of her body. This happens in rare occasions, but in Emma's case.. It seems to have been inside of her far longer than most people. Now, there are multiple cures for this. One being-"

I stop listening to his words and look over to Emma who is barely holding herself together. I look around the room, in a confused expression. It becomes very hard for me to breathe and I instinctively race out of the room in an attempt to recompose myself. I start seeing blurry, as tears form inside of my eyes. I wipe them away, only for fresh tears to replenish my face. I race past a lobby and head out the door. I find myself on a hill nearby the hospital and gather my thoughts.

What am I going to do? I can't lose Emma. She's been there for me since forever. If something were to happen.. I don't think I would be able to live with myself. Why couldn't this happen to me instead? She doesn't deserve any of this.

I contemplate everything through my head. After about fifteen minutes later, I hear someone approach.