Chapter 1

*DISCLAIMER --- some topics in this book may be sensitive/upsetting to some readers*

~*~*~

"Bye Macy!" I scream to my best friend as I run to my front door. It was currently 10pm, 30 minutes past my curfew. I quietly turn the keys and open the door. All the lights are off.

They must already be sleeping. I think to myself.

I tiptoe up the steps, and peek into my parents' room. It was dark, something seems off. I turn on the light, and my whole world crashed down. Blood stained my mom's chest and my dad's head. My dad had a gun in his hand.

"Mom, dad!" I scream as I rush towards them. They were cold as ice, not moving at all. Tears start rushing down my face, my hands start shaking, my heart is thudding across my chest, and I feel lightheaded. I sit down as I dial 911.

"911, what's your emergency?" A calm lady asks.

"My parents, they're dead." I cry into the phone. I don't understand. They loved each other. Did my dad actually kill my mom?

"Okay, honey. What's your address?" I tell her my address, and she tells me the cops and paramedics are on their way.

~*~*~

I sit in the doorway as the paramedics roll my only family out on two stretchers, their faces covered. Is this actually happening? Can someone pinch me so I can wake up from this nightmare?

I duck my head into my knees, and let a few more tears slip down my face. A police officer sits down beside me and asks me to tell him what I know. I sigh and tell him the story. My parents loved each other. I never saw or heard a fight, physical or verbal. We were a happy family. Everything was perfect. We were even supposed to go mini golfing tomorrow.

I just want to sleep. Make it all go away. The police officer guides me to his car, and tells me I'm sleeping at the police department tonight. I sigh and follow along beside him. What else can I do anyway?

~*~*~

A/N

To anyone suffering from a loss, I can't express how sorry I am. If you need to chat, I am here for you. Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Everyone deals with loss in a different way, so Jayden's way may be completely different than someone else's.

With that being said, if this chapter made anyone uncomfortable reading, please stop reading this book. My goal is not to make anyone uneasy reading this. My goal is to write a story showing how Jayden can overcome this horrible and traumatic event.

<3Ems