Chapter 31

It's Monday, and my first day back since the whole incident about 3 weeks ago.

I missed a lot, but I got some supplemental work while I was on "bed rest." I really didn't rest in bed too much. I just got so bored and lonely in my room, so I would go for walks, play with Kate, or hang with my friends. So, pretty much what the doctor didn't want me doing. Oh well, I'm healing fine.

Beth and John didn't want me driving yet, so they asked Ethan to drive me. He happily accepted the offer. It was a quick drive, which bring us to where we are now.

The school parking lot.

Berry Falls isn't exactly a small town, but they for sure heard about the girl who was almost killed by the serial killer that killed both her parents. A main reason was because my story was featured on the news. So, I was pretty nervous about the amount of attention I would get.

"Ready?" Ethan asks, unbuckling his seatbelt.

"I guess," I say doing the same.

We exit the car and head into the building. I braced myself for the stares, but when I walked in I was surprised.

The students saw me, and started clapping and cheering for me. I felt a small smile make its way onto my face.

"You're a survivor, Jayden!" A girl from my French class said as I passed her.

"You won!" A guy yelled as I went past him.

"You made it," another girl grinned.

I felt my eyes sting with tears. I didn't expect this much support from everyone. A lot of the people were strangers, too. I grin, as I thank the people in the halls.

Soon, the cheering died down, and I was able to head to my locker where all my friends were waiting.

"Hey!" Grace says as she squeezed me into a hug.

"Hi!" I smile as I return the hug.

"Careful, Grace. Don't hurt her," Chloe chuckled.

Grace gasps, and pulls away quickly. "Oh no! Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I laugh. "I'm not very sore anymore."

"Thank God," Grace mumbles.

"How'd you like the greeting?" Noah asked as he put his arm around Grace, making her cheeks turn pink.

"It was so sweet. It honestly warmed my heart. Did you guys plan it?" I ask.

"Kind of," Grace smiles, "We were planning it with student council."

"Thank you, guys," I smile. I feel very overwhelmed with happiness. It's truly nice to see how many people will love and support you.

"Of course," Liam says, "I mean you are a part of our squad,"

"So, we got to be there for each other," Chloe finishes.

I'm in their squad now? And they are real. They are real friends who will go out of their way to plan something nice for me. They didn't have to, but they did.

"You guys," I say as I pull them all in for a group hug.

"We love you, Jayden." Grace smiles, as everyone nods in agreement. It feels great to be accepted. I was always so scared I was unwanted, that I was breaking their friendship circle. But now I know I'm truly wanted.

"Awh, I love you all too."

~*~*~

I exit my history class, and I go to my locker. I only have French class left, and then I can finally head home.

It really hasn't been too bad of a day; it's just that all the walking has been a lot of strain. I just can't wait to go home, and relax on my bed.

I was taking out my French workbook from the bottom of my locker, when I feel two hands shove me into my locker.

"What the hell?" I exclaim, as I quickly straighten up and turn around. I immediately close my eyes in pain, and grab my injury. I slowly open my eyes to reveal Madeline staring back down at me. She was shooting daggers at me, eyeing where I just held my hand.

"Just what I was looking for," She cackled, before throwing a punch at my injury. I immediately scream and fall to the floor, my eyes start tearing up as I close them in pain. I hear Madeline laugh, before I hear a loud thud against the locker.

I open my eyes to reveal Lucas, standing above Madeline, his fist clenched. Madeline is on the floor, clutching her face.

"The fuck, Lucas?" She exclaims. Holy shit, did Lucas punch Madeline?

"What is your deal? You fucking punched her injury!" He exclaimed, leaning down by me, "are you okay?" Lucas asks me, concern present in his eyes.

Before I could answer, Chase is down, on my other side, "What did he do?" Chase growls, glaring at Lucas.

"No, Chase. Madeline, she punched me," I say, letting out a weak breath. My injury is throbbing, so I press my hand over it, easing the pain in the slightest.

"Oh, boohoo. Go cry to your boyfriends, you slut." Madeline says, as she wipes her bloody nose.

"I swear to God, I will punch you again." Lucas says through gritted teeth.

Madeline just laughs. She continues to stare at me, "hmm, what should I do tomorrow? A knife, maybe?"

My jaw drops. Wow. She has some nerve.

"Fuck you, Madeline!" Some guy yells from the crowd that was watching the scene.

"Yeah!" Another girl yells.

"What?" Madeline asks, shock written all over her face.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Another girl says.

"Get out of this town, we don't want you," a guy says.

Just then a teacher shows up, "Principal's office, all of you," the teacher says, looking at Madeline, Lucas, Chase, and me.

"No, she has to go home, her injury," Chase says sternly to the teacher.

"Alright, do what you need to do to help her, you two, come with me," he says, walking away as Lucas and Madeline follow him.

"Alright, my gumdrop. We have to get you home." Chase says picking me up and rushing out the door.