Chapter 17

I was curled up in my bed with some hot cocoa, when I heard the front door open. I heard Ethan and Chase's hushed voices come from downstairs.

It was about 8, just over an hour after they originally left.

I heard them make their way up the stairs and into Ethan's room. I sigh, and decide to watch a movie.

After about 20 minutes in, I hear voices talking down the hall, so I pause the movie.

"Later, Chase." I hear Ethan say.

"See ya man. I'll see myself out," Chase said.

"Alright, bye," Ethan says as I hear footsteps go down the stairs. I decide to turn my movie back on, and snuggle into my blankets on my bed. It's cold tonight.

All of a sudden, I get startled as I hear the door slowly open. I whip my head towards the door, and I see Chase standing there with his finger against his lips. I give him a weird look. Why is he in here? I'm not complaining, but why?

I just watch him as he steps inside my room, and quietly shuts my door.

"What are you doing?" I whisper as he comes over to sit at the edge of my bed.

He stares at me, "are you okay?" He gently put his hand on my shoulder. I notice his knuckles are wrapped, and he has bruise forming on his cheek.

"Did you actually-?" I start but never finish.

"Yeah, I did. I'm hoping he will know better than to come after you again," Chase whispers to me.

"How bad?" I ask.

"Uh, we knocked him out," Chase mumbled, causing my eyes to widen.

"You-" I started to exclaim, but Chase covered my mouth with his hands. I felt my cheeks heat up, and butterflies erupt in my stomach. Good thing the only light in my room was from the TV screen.

"Shh!" He quickly shushed me, "I'm not supposed to be in here."

"Then why are you?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"You never answered my first question."

"I'm fine, I guess. I just feel gross and mad. Like, just because he is stronger than me, he thinks he can do those things? How many girls does he do this too? It's so not cool," I whisper. Chase puts his arm around my shoulder. He nods.

"And he was so close to taking my first kiss," I say as I feel Chase tense.

Oh crap.

"You haven't kissed anyone yet?" He asks, his head turning to me with wide eyes.

"We can just forget I said that," I hide my face in my hands. This is so embarrassing.

"No, I think it's cute," Chase says as he squeezes me into his side. Is that implying that he thinks I'm cute, or just the fact that my virgin lips are cute?

"Chase," I whine, I bury my face further into my hands.

"Gumdrop," he says, "come out of there." I slowly take my hands away from my face and look at him. He's grinning at my whole reaction to the scene. "It's okay you haven't kissed anyone yet - doesn't change my view of you."

"Thanks, I guess" I mumble, before adding, "so, what's your view of me?"

He just smiles in response before changing the topic, "So, whatcha watching?"

"Just some movie," I answer as I snuggle back into the covers.

"Looks interesting," Chase says, leaning back onto the bed.

"Yeah, you wanna stay and watch?"

"Oh sure," Chase says, "It's kinda cold in here."

"You wanna come under the blankets, too?" I say raising my eyebrows at him.

"Please," Chase pouts, causing me to laugh.

"Okay," I say as I open the blanket for him. He quickly comes under them, and sits next to me.

"Better," he smiles and leans back onto my pillows. I do the same. I feel my heart quicken at his closeness, but I try my best to push it away.

As the movie continued, I heard Chase snoring behind me. I roll my eyes, and keep watching. There's only about 30 minutes left. I try to focus on the screen, but my sleep gets the best of me. Before I know it, I'm out like a light bulb as well.