Chapter 4

"Good morning Jayden," Beth said, as she flipped some pancakes.

"Morning," I smiled.

"I see you met Ethan, already." I nodded, "Kate!" Beth yelled.

I heard small footsteps running down the hall. A tiny girl with blonde hair pulled back into pigtails, and blue eyes round the corner.

"What mommy?" She asks.

"Kate, this is Jayden." Beth says as she gestures to me.

"Hi, Kate!" I say as I bend down.

"Hi!" She screeches as she jumps into my arms. "Do you want to be my best friend?" She asks, her eyes wide.

"Of course!" I smiled, as I hugged her.

"Okay, Kate. Jayden has to eat breakfast," Beth says as she picks her up off me. "Why don't you go back to play with your dollies?"

"Okay!" Beth puts her down as Kate skips into the hallway.

"Wow, I think she likes you more than me," Ethan says sitting down next to me.

"Yeah, well it is nice to have another girl in this house," Beth says with a smile.

~*~*~

It's around noon, and I decide I should try and find the kitchen again. I wander through a different hall, and I freeze when I hear voices talking.

"God Mom! You have got to be kidding me!" I heard Ethan groan.

"Ethan!" Beth scolded.

"What? Yesterday, you told me that somebody will be living with us. I didn't know permanently! Now I have to share my house with a stranger! She'll be at my high school too! She might be using us because we are rich!" Ethan yelled.

Damn. I knew this idea was shit.

"Be quiet Ethan! She is a lovely girl. I was good friends with her mother. Don't talk if you don't know the story." Beth said in a low tone.

"What story?"

"Ethan, both of her parents died two days ago in a murder suicide."

Has it only been 2 days? I feel my eyes glaze over.

"Well, why did she come here? It's not like she's ever gonna be my sister."

I didn't expect them to let me in completely with open arms. It just hurt me a bit because he was so nice to me this morning.

"Wow. Ethan. I raised you better. Show some respect at least! Ethan!" I heard her yell, before I look up to see Ethan in the door way, staring wide-eyed at me.

"Shit," He said before running down the hall, and slamming a door.

"Jayden, I'm sorry you had to hear that. Asshole, I told you. I promise he's a real nice guy somewhere," Beth says as she hugs me.

"It's fine, I didn't expect a smooth transition," I said truthfully.

"Oh, honey," She frowns, "Well, how about a house tour? It can be pretty confusing at first."

"Yes, please."

~*~*~

"So Jayden, we need to talk about a couple things," Beth starts as we sit in the kitchen, "First, I wanted you to know that the police called me and they are doing an investigation in regards to your parents. They didn't tell me much, but they will update us as often as possible."

"What does that mean?" I ask. I thought it was clear as to what happened.

"Well, with any crime comes an investigation. They are probably just looking for a motive."

I sigh. "You're probably right."

"Let me know if you ever need something, okay?" Beth says with a sympathetic smile on her face.

"Okay. Thanks," I say.

"Two, would you like to visit a therapist, or someone you can talk too?" Beth asked, lowering her voice a little bit.

"No thank you," I say simply. I hate talking about my feeling, especially to a stranger. Plus, I think I'm doing fine anyway.

"Okay, don't hesitate to let me know if you change your mind," I nod before she continues, "and now the final topic, school. Since it's only September, you shouldn't be too far behind. I registered you as a senior at the school Ethan goes to. They said you can start whenever you are comfortable, so just let me know."

"I'll start Monday." I said quickly. School would be a nice way to get my mind off things. I have to stay focused. College is next year.

"Okay, are you sure?" Beth asked, slightly taken aback.

"Positive," I say with a smile.

"Alright. Looks like we will need to take you out shopping. Get you some school stuff, and cold weather things." Beth said smiling.

"Yes! I'd love that."

"Great. We'll leave at 4."