Chapter 14

I'm sitting on my bed with my laptop, when I hear a knock at my door.

"What's up?" I ask, furiously typing away, trying to write this lab report for science.

The door slowly opens, causing me to glance away from my screen. I see Chase poke his head in.

"Hey," he says sheepishly.

"Hi," I reply, slightly confused.

"So," Chase starts as he slowly makes his way into my room. I notice he's got his backpack on.

"Yes?" I ask.

"I need math help," Chase whispers to me.

"Okay," I whisper back.

"And you're good at math," Chase continues.

"Okay."

"So, can you help me out?" Chase asks, giving me a small smile.

"Of course, come on over," I say as I pat the bed next to me.

"Thank you, gumdrop." Chase smiles at me.

"Don't thank me yet," I smile back. I shut my laptop, and take out my math notes, as he takes out his.

"Okay, where are you confused?" I ask, as I look at his notes.

"I just don't understand this whole unit. I'm falling behind," He says, as he rubs his head.

"That's okay. I'll go over it all with you." I smile, as I begin to write all over his notes.

~*~*~

"So then, I multiple the whole equation by the five, then subtract the power by one, so it'll be to the fourth power?" Chase asks, as he looks at me with hope in his eyes.

"Yes! You did it!" I grin.

"Woohoo! Take that math class!" Chase exclaimed as he threw down his pencil. I laugh at his reaction, and he smiles at me.

"Thank you so much, Jayden. It really helps me," Chase admitted.

"It's no problem, feel free to come back if you want," I smile. It always feels good to help people out.

"Oh, I want," Chase smirks, and I feel butterflies erupt in my stomach.

"Oh, would you look at the time? I have science to do," I awkwardly say, as I push my math things off to the side, and open my laptop.

Chase laughs. "So, do you have any weekend plans?"

"Me?" I ask, slightly stunned.

"Yes, you. Who else would I be talking to?"

"Uhh," I pause, "the bear I outran yesterday?"

"What?" Chase asked, confusion filling his features.

"That's for me to know, and for you to wonder," I smile, using his words against him.

"Okay," Chase closes my laptop, "You outran a bear yesterday?"

"What did I just tell you?" I ask. I love confusing people sometimes.

"You outran a bear?" Chase asked again.

"It's a story for another time," I grin, reopening my laptop. Chase immediately closes it.

"Now's a great time," Chase smiled innocently.

"So, the answer is yes." I answer to his original question, completely changing the subject.

"What?"

"I do have weekend plans," I answer confidently. It's nice to have a social life.

"Let's hear it," Chase said, leaning back on my pillows.

"I'm having my friends over for a sleepover on Saturday," I say.

"Here?" Chase asks, propping himself up.

"Yeah, and I'm going to someone's house tomorrow for an English project."

"Gross, school work on a Friday night?"

"It was his idea," I defend myself.

"Who?" He asks, losing the smile on his face.

"uh, the partners were assigned" I turn red, I don't wanna tell him. I feel like he'll get mad.

"Jayden?" Chase asks.

"Lucas." I mumble, but he heard me.

"You're kidding." Chase said, his features growing angry. I shake my head no.

"Why the fuck would you go to his house?" Chase yells.

"Calm down, it's no big deal," I say. He shouldn't get so worked up about this. I'm a big girl, I can handle myself.

"Not a big deal? Don't even get me started!" Chase shouted. I hear steps coming quickly to my room, and Ethan runs in.

"What the hell is happening? Why the fuck are you here and why the fuck are you yelling at her?" Ethan yelled at Chase.

"She's going to Lucas' tomorrow!" Chase yelled.

"What!" Ethan screamed. Okay. I actually thought it wasn't too big of a deal.

"Guys, chill. Other people will be there too," I shrug.

"You aren't going," Ethan said, "and Chase?"

"What?" Chase said, breathing heavy.

"Why are you in her room?"

"She was tutoring me in math."

"Oh," Ethan said. They both turn to me.

"Hello there," I say, unsure of why they were looking at me.

"Got it?" Chase asked me.

"I'm going, it's for a project," I said, before adding, "for school, for my grade."

"You are unbelievable," Ethan scoffed.

"Shut up. I'll be fine. I'll have you guys on speed dial or whatever," I roll my eyes.

"Send us the details," Ethan said before leaving. Chase stood in my room staring at me. I crossed my arms and glared at him.

"What?" I asked. His staring made me uncomfortable. He shakes his head, and starts to leave.

"No." I stood up and shut my door. "You don't get to leave, Chase. You yelled at me for no good reason, and Ethan got involved! Lucas is fine around me. I hate him as much as you do for what he did at his party, okay? I'm old enough to sense when something isn't right!" I yelled, tears threatening to spill. I take a deep breath. They can't come now. "You can't just yell at me, please. You startled me, you can't just do that, okay?" I say, getting the courage to look him in the eye. He looks hurt.

"I'm so sorry, gumdrop," He whispered as he brought me into a hug. The hug caused my heart to race, and butterflies to fly, but nonetheless it instantly calmed me down. He pulled away, and looked me straight in the eye, "I just want you to be safe." He put a strand of hair behind me ear, before kissing my forehead. "Okay?"

I nodded.

"Good. I'll catch you later," he said before leaving my room with his backpack.

Okay. What the hell just happened?