Chapter 13

"Oh my gosh, bro." Grace said as she flopped on my bed.

"What?" I ask, doing the same.

"So, I was talking to Noah. . ." She drifts off.

"And?" I edge her on, hoping to get the tea.

"Well, first. He said you got paired with Lucas?" She practically yelled.

"Yeah, that kinda happened." I winced. I hate it as much as she does.

"Crap dude. What're you gonna do?" Grace asked, sitting up looking at me with a serious face.

"There's nothing I can do. I'm going to his house on Friday to do the project, but that's it."

"To his house?"

"Yeah," I say quietly.

"You better bring some pepper spray in your pocket or something," Grace commented.

"Honestly, though." I say. I'm kinda freaked out going over there, but he said his siblings will be over as well. "Enough about this, anything else with Noah?" I raise my eyebrows, still waiting for that tea.

"I'm crushing so hard, Jayden. I hate it, and I think you're right too. He is changing," she whispers, as if he's in the room with us.

"Why the sudden change in opinons?"

"Don't tell anyone, you swear?" Grace asks, with wide eyes.

"I swear."

"Not Chloe, Liam, or Noah. Oh my god, if you tell Noah-"

I cut her off. "I won't tell anyone, Grace. No worries." I smile.

"Okay. Well, I kinda was stalking him at school."

"That's it?" I ask. I can't believe she made a big deal about that. We all do it.

"Shut up, just listen," Grace says, her cheeks turning red.

"Okay, sorry." I say before zipping my lips.

"Well, I was stalking him, and a bunch of girls came up to him. They touched his chest and stuff, and he took their hands off his chest, slammed the door and walked away."

"Oh yeah. That to me sounds like a guy who has a girl or a crush."

"You really think?" Grace giggled into one of my pillows.

"Yep, 100%." I smiled.

"Woo!" She jumped up off the bed.

"Anything new with you?" Grace asked after she cooled down.

"Um," I say trying to find something worth telling. "Oh! Do you guys have bears here?"

"Yeah, I think in the wooded areas, why?" She asks hesitantly.

"Well, I think I was almost eaten by one today."

"What! How?" She exclaims.

"This morning I was on a run through the nature path in this area, and there were crunching leaves coming from the forest area. It came closer, but I sprinted out of there before I could see anything."

"Oh my god! Are you sure it was a bear? I wouldn't think they live like right here." Grace says.

"Let's just say it was a bear, so I sound pretty frickin cool, outrunning a bear." I say causing Grace to laugh.

"Alright, sounds good to me," she smiled. "So you run?"

"Yeah, back home I ran all the time," I smile.

I was so close. I could see the finish line. I felt like passing out, I could barely breath. My legs were spaghetti noodles.I can't give up now. There are three people ahead of me by a few paces. I can't do it. I won't place.

"Jay bear!" I heard my dad call me. "You got this! Count your breaths!"

"You can win, Jay! Believe in yourself!" My mom shouted.

I closed my eyes, and counted. 1, 2. 1, 2. My counting got faster, as I felt my pace quicken. I open my eyes, and I pass a girl on my left. Two people in front of me.

1,2. 1,2,1,2.

I found the strength and I broke out into a sprint. I passed another girl on my right. It was me and one girl. The finish line a few yards away. My adrenaline kicked in. I closed my eyes.

1,2, 3, 4. 1,2,3, 4.

I felt a plastic line across my stomach snap, as I quickly open my eyes.

I did it! I got 1st place!

I slowed into a walk, and fell into the warm and much needed embrace of my parents.

"We're so proud! You did it!" My dad exclaimed.

"We love you, Jay," my mom whispered into the hug.

"I won first in a meet one time," I say as I snap out of my memories. I reach over into a box, and I pulled out my gold medal.

"Wow! That's so cool, I could never." Grace said as she admired my medal.

"You run too?" I smile at her.

"Yeah! You should join cross country, you can practice at school with us, so you don't have to face anymore bears," Grace grinned.

"That sounds great! I think I might," It would be nice to go back to running.

"Good! Let me know."

I smile and nod before asking, "do you think the gang would want to come over for a sleepover Saturday?"

"Of course! That'd be so much fun," Grace smiled as she gave me a hug.

"Good!" I smile as I return the hug.