Chapter 22

As the final bell dismisses us from class, I can't help but smile. I make my way to my locker, and head straight out to my new car. I quickly throw my backpack in the passenger's side, and pull out of the parking lot.

Today seemed like the longest day of my life. Every class dragged on and I just wanted to get out of there. I've never really minded school. I enjoy learning and a change in atmosphere, so today was a bit odd for me.

I finally see the house in the distance, and I can't help but speed. That is until I realize that there is a cop car in the driveway.

"Crap, this can't be good," I whisper to myself, as I pull up right next to the empty cop car.

I grab my bag, lock the car, and I walk inside.

"Jayden," Beth says as she greets me by the door, with John right next to her.

"You need to follow me," she says with a serious expression.

All the possible scenarios flash through my mind. Am I being moved? Are my parents actually alive? Did the police find the killer?

We sat in the formal living room across from two police officers. I recognized one of them from Florida.

"Hi there, Jayden," the officer I recognized from Florida greeted. "I'm officer Clark, I don't know if you remember me."

"Yes, I do. Hi, officer Clark," I smile at him.

"I'm officer Julian," the other police guy introduced himself. "I'm on the force here in Berry Falls."

"Hi, officer Julian." I greet him as well.

"How are you doing here?" Officer Clark asks.

"Um, it's nice. Beth and John are amazing, school is good, and I've already made friends," I say, I'm still extremely nervous for the reason they're here.

"Good, I'm glad the transition is going okay," Officer Clark sends me a sympathetic smile.

"Me too," I agree.

"So, I bet you're wondering why we're here," Officer Clark begins.

"Yeah," I nod.

"Beth and John told me they already told you that your parents were murdered, not a murder suicide," Officer Clark pauses waiting for me to agree.

"Yeah, that's correct," I say simply.

"The suspect has been identified along with a motive," he pauses to let it sink in. Wow, this'll be closure right? It's over now. Case closed.

"He is a man by the name of Fredrick Nelson, 43 years old." That name doesn't ring a bell. "After doing a lot of research, we believe we know why he did this." I nod quickly again wanting to know the reason. "About 5 years ago, his pregnant wife was admitted to the hospital, and your mother was her nurse. She had given her all the correct fluids and medications. His wife had a bad reaction to one of them which ended up killing her and the unborn baby."

"Oh my god, that's horrible," I say, as I feel my eyes glaze over.

"Yes, but there was no way your mother would've known about this. It wasn't in Mrs. Nelson's record." I nod again.

"So in return, Mr. Nelson was planning to end your mother's life, and those she loved." Officer Clark finished.

"But me, wait, did you catch him?" I say, as I begin to get more panicked. Those she loved, she loved me. I wasn't there when it happened, so does that mean I would've been killed too? Is he planning to find me and kill me?