Chapter 6

I arrive back to the house, thanking Grace, who was kind enough to drop me off. The rest of the day went smooth, sharing my last two classes with Chloe in both, and Grace in one. I jog through the front door, and head into the kitchen.

"Hey Jayden! How was your first day?" Beth asks.

"It wasn't too bad, I already made some friends," I say with a smile.

"Good! I'm glad. Did Ethan not give you a ride home?"

"No, he didn't. One of my friends did. I texted him though,"

"Okay, sounds good sweetie. You can grab whatever food you would like, help yourself. I have to go pick up Kate from preschool, so I will be home in about 30 minutes. Ethan should be home any minute now," Beth says as she grabs her purse off the counter.

"Okay, thanks," I say as I sit on the stool.

"Bye, hon," Beth calls from the garage.

"Bye!" I yell back.

The door shuts and it leaves me alone in the giant house. I honestly do feel bad. I feel like I'm just taking advantage of them - stealing their money. I know they are pretty rich, but still. I never had this much growing up. We were always buying the least amount of things, and always the knock off brands. I didn't mind though. As long as we were happy, that's all that mattered to me.

I sigh, pushing away the knot I feel forming in my throat, and I glance up towards the fridge. I decide to check and see what may interest me. As I'm poking around in the fridge, a voice scares me.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Ethan glares at me. I notice another guy right next to him from that rich kid table the girls were warning me about.

"Oh, Beth said I could grab a snack, so I'm just looking," I say shyly, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"Yeah, looking better be the only thing you do," He scoffs.

"Ethan, I'm just a little hungry. It'll only be–"

"No, Jayden. I don't buy any of your bullshit. I have never met you before this week. My house, not yours. My food, not yours. Get the hell out of my kitchen." Ethan growls.

"I'm sorry Ethan, I just wanted a snack."

"No, fuck off." He said as he grabbed my backpack, shoved it into my chest, and slammed the fridge shut.

I quickly walk off into my room and feel my eyes sting. I hate the reality I'm living. I wish my parents were here, and we still were in Florida. Speaking of Florida, I should call Macy. I find my old phone and open the contacts. I start to scroll for her name, but I stop on dad. My finger lingers over his name then I press call.

The phone rings, and continues doing so until I hear his voice.

"Hey, you've reached the phone of Charlie Riley. Leave a message, and I'll call you back soon!"

I felt my eyes sting, as a knot formed in my throat. Why'd he have to leave me here, all alone? Why couldn't he have killed me too? He killed himself, and my mom, why not me? Why'd he leave me? I heard a loud beep from the phone, snapping me out of my thoughts.

Macy will make me feel better, she always does. I scroll down the list of contacts until the letter M. Macy was sitting right above mom. My finger hovered over mom, before I quickly pressed Macy. I hit dial, and wait for her to answer. As I'm waiting, I take out a pack of gumdrops Grace gave me today.

After two rings, she picks up.

"Hello?" I hear her ask over loud music.

"Macy! Hi, it's Jayden!"

"Oh Jayden, hey. Look it's a bad time. I'm at Gwen's party right now."

"Gwen? Macy, we hated her. She hated us. We never went to parties."

"Jayden," Macy laughs, "She didn't hate us. She hated you. You're gone. Gwen and I are best friends now. Sorry,"

"What? Macy? Are you even gonna ask how I'm holding up?"

"News flash Jayden. I've moved on from you. You can leave me alone now,"

"Macy, you were my best friend since kindergarten! Does that mean nothing to you? We still can talk over the phone! I'm sure I can fly out there over break!" I yell, hearing my voice crack.

"Sorry Jayden. I have more important things to do, bye," Macy says before hanging up.

"Well fuck you too!" I yell into my phone, then I chuck it across the room. It collides with the wall, falling  to the ground. I fall back on the bed. I feel the tears coming out. Does anyone actually like me? Were those 12 years of friendship fake between us? Did I just never notice?

As I'm crying, I hear an argument outside my door.

"Go in Ethan and give her this shit," a male voice says, I assume it's Ethan's friend.

"No, Chase. She doesn't belong here, she's fucking using us," Ethan shouted. Oh, so Chase must be his friend's name.

"Shut up, Ethan. You're being unreasonable. I don't know why she's here, but she's fucking crying dude, we literally heard her talking to someone who dumped her or something!"

"Ugh!" Ethan groaned. I heard a set of footsteps leave, they were probably Chase's. I bet Ethan caved.

I hear a knock at my door. Ethan is probably gonna tell me to shut up, and quit acting like a baby. I bet he won't forget to add the whole, "you're faking it speech". Whatever he wants to tell me, I'm not in the mood.

"No, fuck off Ethan," I snapped. I hear the door open. "Ethan! I said fuck off!" I shout as I sit up, staring at not Ethan. It was his friend, Chase. Damn, I shouldn't assume things.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just thought you were-" I start, as I quickly wipe my tears.

"No, it's okay. I understand. My name is Chase," He says as he comes and sits on the bed by me. Did he not know that I heard their argument outside my room?

"Jayden."

"I know. I'm in your math class." He says with a smile.

"Oh yeah, you are." I say remembering his face.

"Gumdrops?" He questions the package on my bed with a smile on his face.

"Yeah, they're my favorite," I sheepishly smile as I pop one into my mouth, causing him to laugh.

"Well, um, I felt bad for Ethan blowing up on you. He was completely wrong. But anyways, I brought you some hummus and pita chips, to make you less hungry." He says, as he pushes the plate towards me.

"Oh thanks, that's very nice of you," I say, slightly blushing.

"No problem. Also, I couldn't help but overhear your phone call. I just wanted to let you know that you don't deserve them. You deserve someone ten times better, okay?" Chase says with a sympathetic look.

"Thanks."

"Bye, Jayden." He says and exits my room.

I enjoy my hummus before I fall back on my bed and close my eyes. This day calls for a nap.