Chapter 15

"Jayden!" I hear Beth call from downstairs. That's kind of odd, she usually comes and gets me.

"Coming!" I yell back, as I make my way to the stairs. Finally, after almost 2 weeks of staying here, I know my way around this house. I reach the stairs, and hear her talking to John at a low volume in the kitchen.

I walk hesitantly into the kitchen, as John and Beth snap their heads up. "Hi, guys. What's up?"

"Jayden, please take a seat." Beth says, her face unreadable. I quickly sit in a chair, feeling very uncomfortable. Obviously, this'll be a serious talk, but are they kicking me out? Is it about my family? Ethan? All the possible scenarios flash through my mind.

"We have something very important to talk to you about, and I need to know that you are ready," John says as he cups his hands together on the table.

"Yes. Yes, I am," I say quickly, I feel my heartbeat pick up, and my hands grow sweaty.

"Okay, honey," Beth shoots John a worried glance.

"What?" I ask, my anxiety getting the best of me.

"The police just called me regarding your parents' case," Beth said slowly, as I nodded. "They originally said it was a murder suicide, but they have reason to believe it wasn't."

"Really?"

"Yes," John said, confirming what Beth told me.

"So, what happened? Somebody killed them both?" I ask in horror.

"That's what they believe. They are still looking into it. Apparently the blood splatters on the scene show that both gun shots were taken from about 20 feet away." John said, as Beth came over to rub my shoulders.

"Holy crap, why would someone do such a thing? To my parents?" I say, as my voice becomes shakey. What did they do? Nothing. They were innocent people and somebody thought it was okay to kill them! To take them from this world. To take them from me.

"They are still doing research and analyzing different things on the crime scene to identify the person, then find a motive," Beth said.

"Oh my god," I cry. This is so unfair.

"I know, sweetie," John said.

"Somebody killed them. I thought they wanted to leave, but they didn't. Someone took them out," I whisper through my tears. I recompose myself, and ask, "their funeral? I want to say goodbye."

"Yes, they will have one. Right now, they have to be used as evidence in the case." John told me.

"Evidence? What happened to them being people? Being a loving mother and a caring father? Somebody murdered them, and now they're just evidence?" I yell angrily.

"I'm sorry, Jayden. I didn't mean it that way, they were amazing people." John apologizes. I can't handle this conversation anymore. I have to go.

"Thank you, but I think I'm gonna go back to my room," I sniffle.

"Okay, sweetie. Please let me know if I can do anything to help," Beth assures me as I smile and thank her. I run upstairs and collapse on my bed.

I can't deal with this anymore.

It's too much.