Chapter 3

We pull outside of my new, rather large, home, and to say I'm nervous is an understatement. I'm petrified. I've always been a shy girl, and talking does not come easily to me. In Florida, I really had only one friend. Macy. We were best friends since 1st grade. But that's beside the point. The point is I'm scared.

Beth has told me that she has two children - a daughter who is 4, and a son who is my age, 17. What an age gap, I know. Their names are Kate and Ethan. She assured me that they should be asleep given it is currently one in the morning.

I open my door, and feel the cool breeze fan my face. I didn't realize how much colder here it was than Florida. It's only September.

"Wow, it's cold here. I regret wearing shorts." I say with a smile to Beth, as we unload the two boxes from the trunk.

"You think this is cold? It's only about 60 degrees. Wait until December." She grins.

"Oh no," I say and shake my head. I've lived in Florida my whole life, I'm not used to this. The coldest it has ever been was probably upper 40s' . . . once.

"Are you ready?" Beth asks as we walk towards the front door.

"Um, yes?" I say, as I feel my palms getting sweaty.

"You have nothing to worry about. You are super sweet, they'll love you." She replies.

"You think?"

"I know. Ethan may be a little asshole at first but don't let it get to you. Boys will be boys," She says with a smile. I laugh.

"Okay, I think I'm ready." She opens the front door and lets me into the massive hall.

"John!" She yells. A man comes down the giant staircase. He's tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes, and thick black rimmed glasses.

"Hi, you must be Jayden." He says to me.

"Yeah, that's me." I say awkwardly.

"I'm John, welcome," He says as he pulls me into a hug. It was awkward because I was holding a huge box of stuff. He pulls away. "I can take that. Let's show you to your room." John guides me up the steps, with Beth behind me.

We pass many rooms, and find one at the end of the hall. "Here we are," He says as he opens the door. It reveals a huge room. It had large fuzzy gray carpet on the wooden floor. The bed was king-sized, with gray sheets. There was a mini white table, and a gray stool in the corner of the room, looking outside at a forest. Green plants were scattered all around the white-walled room. There was a walk-in closet and a connected bathroom. This was a beautiful room.

"Do you like it?" Beth asks.

"Of course, it's beautiful. Thank you so much. It means a lot." I say, giving them a hug.

"It's not a problem Jayden. I'm going to set these boxes down here. I think you should get some rest. We'll see you in the morning," John says.

"Okay, goodnight." They crack the door, I turn off the light, and I collapse into the bed. I shut my eyes and quickly fall into a deep sleep.

~*~*~

I wake up to the bright sun pouring in through the windows. I look around for a clock, and I see that it's 9:30. I dig through my boxes, find my toiletries, and head into the bathroom. I sigh at my appearance. My dark brown eyes look red and swollen. I brush my teeth and throw my brown hair up in a messy bun. I throw on a pair of knit shorts, and a large sweatshirt.

I exit my room, to be met with a long hall. I follow the hall all the way down and find a staircase. I wander down, not really knowing where I'm going. I find the main entrance, I go through one doorway, and end up in a music room.

My parents loved music. I sat and stared at the piano. I press a key, as a tear forms in my eye. My mom played the piano so beautifully. She tried to give me lessons but it just didn't hold my interest. I sigh. I wish I learned. I wish I tried harder. I sit on the bench. I felt the tears keep slipping down my cheek. I quickly wipe them, and stand up. I let out a shaky breath. I turn around to be met by a new face. My heart jumps, and my eyes widen.

"Geez, you scared me," I say quietly.

"Oh sorry," He says. He has brown hair and bright blue eyes, like Beth. "Are you okay?" He asks as he nears me. He is pretty tall.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I say not making eye contact.

"Alright. Well, I'm Ethan."

"Jayden."

"I guess we are living together now," He says with a smirk.

"Apparently. Um, well, I'm kinda lost." I cringe at my awkward self.

He laughs, "Come on, I'll show you to the kitchen."

"Thanks." I say quietly.