Chapter 4

It was around six in the morning when I got out of bed. I was never an early bird but after mother died I couldn’t sleep well at night therefore as soon as it was light outside I was out of bed getting ready for the day ahead.  When the clock struck seven I left my room and went down to the cafeteria for breakfast. The sound of student only started to get up could be heard in the corridors. Entering the dinning area no one was around except for the glad figure dressed in black at the teachers table. Miss Hardbroom. She didn’t say anything as she walked past the teacher and went to the table were the breakfast laid out. Everyone always complained how bad the food was here but she didn’t see anything wrong with it. Saying that she loved food a lot. Her sister had to tell her off many times before to slow down when I was eating before I choked on my food. Well it hasn’t happened yet.

Miss Hardbroom looked up from what she was doing when she heard footsteps entering the room. She thought it must have been another teacher but was not expecting to find Freya Evergreen. The witch was always the last person to saunter into the dinning hall. She watched the student prepare her bowl of porridge and sat in her usual seat. She didn’t start eating straight away but just stared at the bowl in front of her.  Hecate cleared her throat I hopes of catching the young girls attention. It worked of course as the girl slowly turned her head to face her. She was met with sleepy eyes and a frown upon the girls face that Hecate didn’t know what to say. Freya didn’t try to fight back or look nervous when she caught the attention of the teacher. Miss Hardbroom didn’t get to say anything after die to the arrival of students. Small groups started showing up and soon Freyas friends joined her. Her frown changed completely as they joined her, like masking her true feelings.

First period came quickly and Hecate Hardbroom was glad she wasn’t the head of the first years, again. These witch’s were as bad as the students from last year but one can hope that there’s improvement. That thought led miss Hardbroom to think of a certain witch that caused more trouble than Mildred Hubble and her group of friends. Freya was only a first year when Mildred was preparing for her final year at the witching academy. In the heart of Mildred she helped Freya when she was feeling low about herself. Especially coming from a non witching family the two shared a similar journey. The teacher shock her head before turning to the class and began to walk around and check there potions.

Freya was in the middle chanting when everyone stopped. Miss Bat looked up at the girl “Miss Evergreen if you would please” she said. I stood from my seat and began to chant by myself following miss bat as she played on the piano. Of course the noisy Rowena Boil, Freyas tormenter had to stick her nose in and called her a cheater. The girl shrunk back in her seat to scared to defend herself knowing she would faced the consequences later. Her friends don’t know about it. They only see the snarky comments about how she doesn’t belong in this school. A frown appeared on her lips as she shrunk further into her chair. The end of class didn’t came faster as she rushed out of class and meet her friends at the potions lab. Oh how Freya dreaded this class.