Chapter 11

There was nothing out of place in the small apartment. Everything looked the same as it did many months ago. The picture frames that hung on the white walls showed that of the mother and daughter that accompany the place. The layer of dust that seemed to make home showed that no one had been living there for a while. Freya knew that soon she would have to sort everything out and sell the small flat. Thanks to Miss Hardbroom we where able to transport into the place from school instead of having to fly. A few minutes of looking around passed before Miss Hardbroom said anything "why don't you pack a few things to take with you as well as what you came here for then you can come back at a later date for the rest" she suggested. I nod "but where should I start?" I asked "start with your bedroom. I'll make us some tea to go with this weather" that was easy. I didn't have a lot to start with. My belongings were either at Cackles or dad's home. Entering the room it was filled with many memories that made me smile.

Finding a big old suitcase under my bed I began with gathering my clothes first and put them in. Cleaning the picture frames and securing them I went and gathered a few other things before I walked to my desk to collect the remaining collection of books I owned. Going over the titles to see which ones I wanted to keep the door creaked open and Miss Hardbroom came in. She carried a tray with two cups on it "I wanted to give you a few moments of privacy first" she said placing the tray to the side "thank you" I said standing by my desk with a book in hand "What have you got there?" She asked as she came beside me "Oh just some books" I smiled as I went through them "it seems my mother could never let go of her past" I said looking at the names of my childhood books. I stopped at one that I remember mother reading to me ever night. I loved this book "this was my mother's when she was a child. We would read it every night. A book of witch's fairy tales" I said opening it to the first chapter. Miss Hardbroom moved closer to take a look before taking it from me. I watched as she flicked through the pages "it always helped me sleep listening to her" I then said. We drank our tea in the old China cups "what do you plan to do with everything?" She asked "I think I'm going to donate most things. There's a lot of people in need so I'll know that I was able to help someone" I said. The teacher gave a soft smile although Freya didn't see it.

This girl came from nothing. That Hecate knew. She heard the way the others girls talked about her. And yet Freya never let that put her down. She was appreciative towards everything. This girl was something special but she just doesn't see it. Hecate wanted to show her how what she saw. That she wasn't a failure or unworthy. Putting her cup down she looked up at the girl to see she was zipping up a bag and placing it with the others "I think that should be everything" she said eyeing the room over once more. Hecate stood and cast the spell that would place the belongings in the girls dorm room "thank you" she said "it was nothing" I told her "No I'm mean thank you for everything. I'm not sure what would become of me if it weren't for you" I smiled and this time she saw it. It must have surprised her "come now you still have another thing to get" I reminder her "Oh yes how could I foget" it was cute seeing her like this.

Entering her mother's bedroom you could tell she was tense. Placing a hand on her shoulder and gaving it an encouraging squeeze to tell her she wasn't alone. She opened the closet that showed a small door with a lock on it. Trying to open it, it wouldn't budge. Freya began to look around in hopes to find the key "I've always been curious about what she's been hidding all these years" she began as she went through a few drawers. It began to frustrate her when she couldn't find the key "Where would she hide it?" She asked herself as she rubbed the back of her head "Do you forget that we're witches?" I asked her even though I wanted her to continue being like this. A blush crept up on Freyas face as she joined my side again. With one quick hand movement the little click was heard which indicated that it was open. Freya nervously neared the door silently opening it. Inside sat a box and nothing else. It was a simple box with her mother initials on the top of it "this is it" she said holding it to her chest "Is that everything then? It's started to get dark outside so we should be getting back to the school" I told her. With a simple nod I told her to hold onto my arm and soon we where back at Cackles. Looking at the time I turned to her "supper will be ready soon why don't you go and freshen up before that " I told her as I went to my desk "Ok. I'll see you at dinner" she lingered for a few seconds before leaving.

After dinner Freya sat at her desk in hopes of finding what was in the box. She examined it before opening it. But it wouldn't open. The strange part was that there wasn't a lock on it. Magic? She thought but that was impossible mother didn't have any magic.  There must be some answer. If she had this before it meant it came from her world. So there must be books or scrolls about it. I'll send father a letter to see if her could send me books on magical object. Tell him it was for an assignment or something. Well then let my research begin.

A month went by and soon it was near mid December. Christmas decorations where all around Cackles for the holiday. It also meant that my birthday was approaching. I still hadn't figured out what I was going to get Fluer. Then there was her and dad's Christmas present as well. I wrapped up in my warmest clothes before getting ready for the day. Putting on my scarf I left my room and went to join my friends. Today we would be going into town to do last minute shopping for Christmas. Everyone would be going home in a few days so there wasn't enough time. Going downstairs I could see my friends already gathered. We made plans on having breakfast at the small cafe at the bottom of the hill.  Emily linked arms with me and we began our walk down the hill.

After breakfast we went to look through the shops. Each one as colour as the other. As we walked down the busy streets we went by a book shop that I had never seen before. Stopping I told the others I would meet them afterwards at the fancy restaurant for lunch.

Entering the shop the small bell above the door went to show someone was there. Inside it looked more like a library than anything else. A staircase led to another floor with more shelves filled with books. An older man with black hair and wore circular glasses stood by the counter while a woman with books in her hand went around the shop to put them back in there rightful places. She scanned the shelves to see if there was anything interesting. It was until she was on the second floor that a book caught her eyes "blood magic" she read out with interest. It was a thick copy. Seeing if there was anything else she quickly went to pay for it. The man at the counter smiled at her as she took the bag "good luck" he called out as she left. She found it weird that he would say that but shrugged I off. Finding her friends they had lunch then went to a few more shops. Managing to find presents she put them in her bag safely and began her journey back to the school.

The next few days consisted of her reading and doing research. I was determined to find something. The other students will be leaving for home today but I was not. My friends had already popped in to say goodbye. It was around half past one when I decided to leave my room for something to eat. Only a few people were staying over Christmas including some of the teachers. On my way to the dinning room I could see Miss Hardbroom coming out of her class room "Well met Miss Hardbroom" I said as I neared "good day Miss Evergreen" she said "How are you this afternoon?" she asked. Her voice was like silk and I couldn't get enough of it "it's going well. I've been studying" I told her "that's good to hear" she said "will you be going home for the holidays?" She then asked "yes it's Fluer and my birthday tomorrow so I want to there before Christmas" I said "I was planning on staying for a few more days though but now I'm unsure" I then added "Fleur?" Miss Hardbroom question "my twin sister" I said. Miss Hardbroom took a minute to reply "How come you have never mentioned her before?" I don't know to be honest I didn't really think it was important "its just never came up. We met at fifteen by accident" that's all I could come up with. She stopped our walked when we entered a secluded corridor "You have no reason to hide who you are" I looked down as I played with my fingers "its hard. For so long it was only mother and I then next thing I have a sister. And a dad for that matter. Its just so sudden and sometimes I feel like  I don't fit in" I admitted. She placed a hand on my chin and made me looked up at her. The touched sent tingles around my body and made me want to lean into it "listen to me when I say this. You Freya Evergreen are a special person. Your family loves you no matter what" I couldn't keep eye contact "I know" I sighed.

We began walking again. My mind racing. Wanting her even more "join me tonight for tea" I think I just misheard those words "Miss Hardbroom?" I questions "tonight in the library, accompany me there" she said.  I could feel the heat rise up on my cheeks as I realised that this was real "yes" I squeaked out without thinking. A grin spread on the teachers face "meet me at eight then and do dress warm. We don't want you getting sick" she said before turning and walking off down the corridor by herself. Did that really just happen. Am I really going to spend time with her in a non educational way. Oh dear this is going to go well.