Chapter 8

Long sleeves have been my best friend for years. It saved all those long hours trying to perfect the right spell to cover the scars that marked my skin. It was dark outside and the curtains where closed. My few bags were already packed and thanks to the likes of magic I didn't have to worry about how messy I looked once I landed. Dad was attending with me. He wanted to meet Miss Cackle and what a perfect time to bring him to my school. I've been to Hogwarts a few times but dad and Fluer have only ever heard me talking about Cackles. Fluer didn't mind though she said it would confuse people and that she'd spend the night with Severus. In the candle lit room I stood in front of the mirror and saw my reflection. The green dress fit me perfectly. My long reddish hair was curled sitting half way down my back with the front parts pinned out of the way and the matching headband accessory. I couldn't believe that was me. A small smile spread across my face "you look marvellous darling" I turned at my father's voice and went over to hug him "your mother would be so happy" he told me "I know. I just wish she was here to see me" I said "she is. She's always beside us" dad told me. He came to inform me that we had to leave in a few minutes. Soon I was on my broom and off to school.

No one was around. But then again the ball started an hour ago. "Don't worry I'll be down as soon as I leave your things in your room" dad said. I nod in understanding "now go in there and shine" I giggled then gave him directions to my room. My heels clicked against the stone floor as I made my way towards the dining room. The doors where open and a few students where gathered around them. I looked around the room as I took of my cloak at the doorway. Handing it to the older wizard I began to feel eyes on me. I stood there not knowing what to do so began to look for my friends. People where either staring and whispering and I felt like running out the door. I began to walk around to see if I could find the group.

Hecate was dressed in her usual attire of black and hair pinned up tight. She thought this whole idea was absurd. Allowing witches and wizards to interact together for one night. Anything could happen. It was the students last year, they should be studying for exams. Not dilly dallying with the opposite sex. She continued to looked around the room to make sure no students where being inappropriate. As she scanned the room her eyes fell upon the familiar red head of hair of Freya Evergreen walking into the room. The students around her stopped to look at the outcast witch. The girl looked absolutly stunning in that dress, Hecate thought. She growled at herself as her mind was once again clouded by Freya. The girl began to walk around the room, looking for her friends perhaps. A few minutes passed before Hecate saw the girl walking towards them "Well Met Miss Cackle, Miss Hardbroom" she greeted "Well Met my dear?" Miss Cackle asked. Hecate didn't hear what was next has she was busy looking over the girl. She never realised how soft her skin looked. Actually now that I think about it she's never had her arms out before. The limited to no makeup wasn't needed on her already perfect features.

Snapping out of it only when she saw a man she didn't recognise walk towards them "ah yes, Miss Hardbroom Miss Cackle I would like for you to meet my father" she said allowing him some room "Daniel Evergreen. It so nice to finally meet you" He introduced doing a slight bow that I've seen Freya do herself "well Mr Evergreen thank you for joining us. I hope you like Cackles so far" he smiled "it's a lovely school. Different from Hogwarts I must say" he said "Hogwarts?" Questioned Ada "A school for witchcraft and wizardry much like yourselves" Hecate wasn't sure what to think "You mean you know magic?" I asked "yes we come from a long bloodline of witches and wizards. Her mother was the same" he explained. Freya had a look of shock on her face "my mother wasn't a witch. There was nothing magical about her" guilt filled the man's face "I'm sorry dear but it's true. Your mother was framed for a crime she didn't commit. The punishment was to take away her magic and brake her wand" he looked away not able to look at his daughter "excuse me for a minute" Freya quickly turned and sped walked to the door, running of to wherever. Hecate tool it upon herself to see if the child was ok "I'll go check up on her" I said "thank you Hecate" Adas voice echoed as she walked away to find the Evergreen child.

The corridors where dark and secluded. The light sound of crying could be heard from the bathroom. Entering she found Freya with her hand on either side of the sink with her head down "everything I knew has been a lie my whole life" she cried out before turning to the teacher. Hecate just stood there waiting for the girl to finished this time "why not just tell me when I first came here?" She sighed, walking back and forth in the small bathroom. Tears threatening to escape. "Your parents must have had good reasons to keep it a secret from you" I told her. She stopped pacing "how can I trust anyone if they're not being honest?" She asked "let him explain everything to you" Indigo Moon was my one if many secrets that where hard to think about. Thinking about her hurt and having the chance to talk about it lifted something within me. But Freya isn't like Indigo. No, she was born with magic.

The girl was calmer than before, she was looking down playing with her fingers "Miss Hardbroom I would like to apologies for the tings I did before" Freya tried to keep her eyes on the teacher but found it hard "There's no need for an apologies Miss Evergreen you where going through a difficult time" I said "now come, people are waiting for you" I waiting for her to join me then walked out of the bathroom and back to the hall filled with students. We didn't say anything as we walked through the corridors. It was a bit cold and I could tell Freya was feeling the chilly air against her arms. Silently casting a warming spell I didn't say anything and continued to walk on."The colour green" she said stopping, turning to the younger girl "it really suits you Miss Evergreen" Freya stopped in her tracks. Not believing what she heard. A slight blush crept on her cheeks. She didn't get the chance to replied as the teacher turned her back and walked off around the corner. All Freya could do was stand there stunned. Did she really just hear that? A smile formed as she continued to walked towards the event.

I met my friends a few minutes after entering the room. They talk and laughed as well as commenting about my look. I smiled and chatted as they also introduced me to their wizard partners. I was happy to see them having fun with this night. A few of them went to dance and I just stood by the wall watching them whilst also conversing with the ones that weren't in the mood to dance. Emily one of the very first people I made friends with began to ask me about my time away. I tried my best not to give to much away and kept it to short answers. Her friend could tell she was trying to push the subject away so changed it to something else after a few minutes passed. My dad came up to me saying that he had to go and that he would send me a letter explaining everything the first chance he could get. I understood and hugged him telling him I would be ok "I love you" he said kissing the top of my head "I love you to dad" I told him before releasing from the hug "I'll be back for Christmas, don't forget" I said "I know" he said before giving me one final goodbye and turning, walking of.

My friends questioned me about the man I was with and where shocked when I told them it was my dad. It started to gross me out when they started to tell me how hot he was. I looked around as they where to busy talking about my dad. My eyes caught the figure of Miss Hardbroom and it was difficult to look away. It's been that way since the first week of school. Everything about her was perfect. I sighed as I thought about all the drawings I've made that's started to make its home in my bedroom. Then also defending her when someone talks bad about her. For a while I wasn't sure what was going on with me until I came to a conclusion.

I have feeling for Miss Hardbroom.