30. WARNING SHOTS

WARNING
SHOTS

                            IT WAS YET another hot day in the summer of '94, and as much as raesun would've liked to relax on hoseok's back yard, she had to do her job with taehyung. she leant against the melanin boy's car after a deal had been made and read her magazine with a cigarette between two fingers, not really paying attention due to the bright colours and overly–saturated pictures.

taehyung was sat in the car, trying to pick a station on the radio and sighing whilst doing so, "what do you want rae: hip hop or blues?"

she rolled her eyes and regretted convincing jeongguk she'd be fine with taehyung on her own (it took some persuading, but he got the message that she was more confident in herself to handle the job), "i want you to hop off my dick and stop talking to me."

"well," his laugh showed he had shook off the comment as if it was a raindrop on his shoulder, calm and collected, "the pop station is playing some groovy stuff, not gonna lie—"

"just pick a damn station and get the fuck on with it," raesun threw down her cigarette and stood on the remainder of it, cursing to herself as she subsided into the passenger seat. the glossy magazine pages were gripped tight in her hands as she quickly shut it, taking out her annoyance on the paper instead of taehyung's neck.

the male shook his head, a gleeful smile plastered on his chapstick–slick lips — it was almost as if he took some sick joy from denying her wishes of simply not talking, "when will you realise i'm only trying to be your friend?"

it was funny to raesun as to how quick his attitude towards her. one minute he was kissing her, the next he'd curse her love choices, and then he'd say she'd burn for eternity with jeongguk as if it was a certain fact. how did he suddenly want to be friends, after all he's done?

"we're not gonna be friends," she opened up her magazine again, flicking through the pages with little to no care.

he sighed and then a silence embraced them (he didn't even put a station on despite his eagerness to choose one). his fingers tapped against the steering wheel, peering at her out of the corner of his eye; she felt his awkward gaze and shivered, just wanting to escape his warm aura.

eventually, the quietness of the vehicle had irritated her even further, "so are you gonna drive or what—?"

"do you hate me because i kissed you or do you hate me because jeongguk hates me?"

raesun blinked at him once or twice: of all the things this man could've said, he just had to bring jeongguk into the matter. of course he did. he was clearly back to his old tricks of making her doubt the blossomed rose of infatuation that the couple held, making her believe that the rose will wilt like any other and burn before summer could return.

a laugh of disbelief escaped her; taehyung just stared at her, somehow still insisting on an answer. she looked at him again with a scoff, "okay, i think i've figured you out now. you're just jealous, aren't you?"

"actually, i'm far from—"

"don't bother denying it," raesun laughed, "just accept it already. listen, i really do think you should get your head out of your ass and realise you can't just fill my head with shit and not suffer any consequences. i'm sure that deep down you're a nice guy; you could probably treat a girl real good if you truly wanted to. but this game you're playing? it isn't helping you. seriously."

a cold glare took on taehyung's face and for once, raesun didn't quite know what to do — she had never seen him look so mad, and even though she had seen jeongguk in more unpleasant states, this was something different. before he could say anything, he did a double take when glancing through the windscreen, "oh christ, t–there's hana—"

"drive off," raesun warned him. their little spat could wait, because of course there was worse things at hand, hana being one of them.

yet taehyung couldn't stop staring at hana's figure amidst her group of similarly–dressed friends, "she's with a group of guys, s–she could be in trouble!"

"taehyung i fucking mean it," raesun growled, leaning back in her seat to hide her face in the slight shadow, her hand slowly taking grip of the pistol jeongguk lent her, "drive."

he shook his head, questioning as to what to do with every flicker of panicked eyes, "n–no! what if—"

"just fucking drive!"

at that, taehyung immediately pulled the car out of it's parking space, tears flooding his doubtful eyes as he drove the car away from his former best friend. raesun stared out the window to see if hana was looking; her breath hitched in her throat when the older girl narrowed her eyes and pulled a gun out from her waistband. her friends caught on and copied her actions, taehyung too frazzled and confused, "taehyung just step on it!" raesun pushed him from the side.

just as he caught on, hana and her friends' bullets sprayed the trunk of the car, both teens lowering their heads incase of any stray ricochets. raesun peered at the wing mirror, gulping as the group bounded down the street after them. her hand, the same hand that gripped her pistol, shook uncontrollably — she never thought she would have to use it.

fortunately, taehyung had sped around a corner and flew down roads with glossy eyes and a shivering body, a heaving chest barely allowing shallow breaths to escape. with a sigh, raesun let go of the weapon in her jacket pocket and tried to calm herself down for the boy's sake.

he looked unbearably sad, shaking his head with his eyes attempting to focus on the road beyond tears, "she... she shot at us."

a few times before raesun had thought about the hardship taehyung had also struggled with when hana changed, but in that moment sympathy bloomed from twitching fingertips and a racing heart. she sighed for umpteenth time, not quite knowing how to both give it to him straight but sugarcoat it just enough to soften the blow, "i'm sorry but... she doesn't care for you anymore taehyung. if she did, she'd be running towards you for forgiveness, not to put a bullet in your head."

he simply nodded, a pale shade washing over a usually warm face, "i know. trust me, i... i know."

i struggled so hard with the pain to write this so i really hope it isnt too bad

and i've just realised that babylon by 5sos suits this book perfectly

wow the power of calum

love,
starr.