Lucifer's Monthly Waterfall (TM)

I was talking to my writing buddy about this one, and it was originally going to be trans!Hamlet, but then she suggested a genderbend. Here we are.

2020 update: Said writing buddy turned out to be a transphobic Nazi. I totally should've done trans!Ham.

I spent a while looking for pictures and found these...

Hamlette

Hamlette

And Horatio

And Horatio.

My fellow females may relate to this more than those who don't get these. Note that I said females, not ladies. I'm not going to use my own pet peeve.

2020 update: Gender is nothing and I transcend it. Unfortunately, I still get periods. Being an enby god can't do much about my anatomy. Alas.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

~ Horatio's PoV (lol I can't be bothered to change his name) ~

Ah, I love Stephen King.

I was sitting comfortably on the loveseat in my girlfriend and I's shared apartment, capable of reading The Stand at whatever pace I pleased. Hamlette was out somewhere doing something. I had no clue.

Regardless, the pillows were soft, the schedule was empty, and the words were there in front of me, coated in that lovely old book scent that I could never get enough of.

And I was completely alone.

"Horatiooooooo!"

I stand corrected.

Hamlette poked her head through the doorway. Locating me, she walked slowly, dragging her feet as a pained expression made its way onto her face.

Without looking away from the page, I lifted my book with one hand, allowing her to dramatically throw herself across my lap.

"Horatiooooooooo..." she wailed, stretching out one leg over the arm of the loveseat and bending the other. She had one hand on her stomach and had placed the back of the other against her forehead.

"Yes, princess?" I asked. I was still reading my book.

"I'm in pain!"

I sighed. Making sure to mark my page, I set aside the book and looked down at my poor, dying girlfriend.

"Life is cruel and unfair," she pouted.

"What happened?"

"I was seeing the rerun of The Matrix with Robin, and right at the bullet time scene I got cramps! My goddamn cramps made me miss bullet time, Horatio!"

Hamlette had now snaked her arms around my torso. I moved my hands to her neck and shoulders, cradling her head against my chest.

"Is there anything I can do to make it better, princess?" I asked, genuinely concerned. Most of her cramps in the past appeared to be awful, making her grit her teeth and even tear up.

"Just hold me..."

"I can do that."

We sat in silence for a good ten minutes, Hamlette occasionally tensing in pain and myself rhythmically stroking her hair.

"Horatio?" she mumbled.

"Hmm?"

"Will you play for me?"

I smiled softly down at her. She was looking up at me with her signature puppy eyes.

"Of course, princess."

I gently shifted her head off my lap and onto her folded arm, giving her a peck on the forehead. I then made my way over to the violin case I kept in the designated corner.

"Any requests? Song, genre, or otherwise," I asked. Hamlette thought for a moment.

"Maybe the one that you played for Helen a few weeks ago? From that movie he likes?"

I nodded, lifting the instrument to my chin.

(A/N: at first I was going to tell you to choose which part you like and pretend that it's being played alone, but then I fell in love with the duet. Pretend she's humming the other part.)

Hamlette closed her eyes in bliss as I played. I tried my best to play quietly, but loud enough that the notes were strong and smooth.

I smiled to myself. My music always had this effect on her, and I was very proud of that. I couldn't help but admire her as she shifted into a more comfortable position, leaning against the armrest with her arms cushioning her head and her legs tucked underneath her.

"This isn't even meant to be a lullaby and I'm falling asleep anyway," Hamlette mumbled. It was so quiet I hardly heard it.

"I'm glad," I responded. "You need rest."

I played for a while longer, humming along with the notes and tapping out a beat with my foot. My girlfriend made no movements or comments after that. I suspected and hoped she'd really fallen asleep.

When I heard light snores, I let the notes fade into silence. The violin was placed back in its corner. I approached the sleeping Hamlette and gently stroked her side.

"Get out of her, Lucifer," I whispered. "She missed bullet time because of you."

With that, I retrieved my book, leaving to go find some chocolate and build a blanket nest for her.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Short and sweet, just how I like it. It did inspire a lot, though, and I've actually got a new original story in the early stages thanks to this.

The power of Shakespeare, I guess.

Till next time, faeries. May your pain never be too intense to be calmed.