Dreamers often lie

It's raining, it's pouring

My brain is being boring

Lalalalalliteration

I have no ideas

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

~ Hamlet's PoV (angstier than intended) ~

I swear I'm going insane.

I woke up again in this hellscape of my brain, internally begging to go back to laying peacefully next to Horatio. I'd said to him time and time again that this is what happened when I fell asleep. But noooo, the ever-concerned-with-my-insomnia Horatio decided I'd be perfectly fine if my cru- I mEaN bEsT fRiEnD was there with me.

He was wrong. Here I was again, lucid dreaming, unable to wake myself up no matter what I did, in the same dark hallway as always.

I sighed. If I was going to be here, I might as well try to find a safe door this time. I scanned the small plaques on each door, checking off the ones I'd already opened.

The hallway was the exact same every time. It stretched straight forward into blackness, doors lining it on each side, (il)luminated by small torches on the wall every three doors.

(A/N: I don't say illuminated because my best friend always bitches about how that's incorrect. Think about the etymology; specifically the prefix. Back to the story now.)

(YOU MADE ME SO HAPPY. THIS REALLY LUMINATED MY LIFE)

(I said back to the story, O'Kelly.)

I traced my finger lightly over a new set of words. Pulvis et umbra sumus, read the small, gold letters. I shrugged and opened the door.

Stepping over the threshold, I was immediately struck by a wave of dry cold. I shivered and took in my new surroundings.

I was standing in a graveyard on a moonless, starless night. A cruel wind buffeted every upright object, whipping the grass around and chilling the stones until they felt like ice.

I carefully made my way down the beaten path. This was a nightmare, I knew that, so I figured something wound jump out and tear me apart.

I froze as I heard whispering.

I glanced behind me, seeing a small shadow dissapear as soon as I focused on it. I swiveled around. The same thing was happening on every side.

The shadows would be visible until I looked at them, and then they wouldn't be there at all. I knew they were meant to make me question whether I'd really seen them or not, and it was infuriating.

"Very funny, subconscious," I mumbled to myself.

I turned back and marched toward the door. Nothing inside the rooms ever stopped me from leaving, but sometimes they'd try to convince me to stay.

Like now.

"It's lovely in here," the voices whispered. "You know it's easier to stay."

I shook my head. These ones were a lot less persuasive than most of the others.

"You know that we can make him love you if you stay?"

That made me stop.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"Yes," they responded, more loudly. "He'll love you, and you can both be happy."

Suddenly, there he was, standing next to me.

Horatio gave me a doe-eyed smile that made my knees go weak. He snaked his arms around my waist and nuzzled into my neck, and it took all the willpower I had not to hug him back and relent to the whispers.