Chapter One~The Water Fountain

*1925 words*

I looked around the table. My older brother Caleb sat with his face stuffed with chewed food that he was not currently chewing, as he typed away at his phone. I turned to my mom, who was entertaining Colette, who was crying into her bowl of dry cereal. Odette sat happily and quietly as she chewed her cereal in her chair.

I stood up quickly, my chair making a loud scraping noise, making my mom jump, and causing Col to cry louder. My mom glared at me as she tried to soothe her.

"That's it." I said pushing in my chair and grabbing my backpack, which was sitting against the leg of the table. I walked over to Mom, kissed her forehead, before kissing my little sister's heads. "Caleb, I'm leaving without you. You're taking to long eating." I said walking towards the door grabbing my keys.

I heard Caleb began to scramble to get his things as I shut the door with a loud sigh.

I don't mind being the oldest. I love it actually because it means that I get to use babysitting my siblings as an excuse to get out of something I didn't want to do. It also meant I got a car, so I could drive my siblings places when they couldn't. However it also meant that I had to drive younger brother to school from now on. He also just so happened to be the type to linger and and drag his feet whenever he had to go somewhere he didn't want to.

I snapped back to reality as Caleb slammed the car door sliding into the passenger seat. "Sorry." He mumbled.

I shook my head. "Seriously I do not need to be late the first week of school." I said backing the car out of the driveway.

My brother let out an annoyed sigh and plugged the aux cord into his phone. I snatched the aux cord out and shot him a look while I drove us to school.

"My car, my rules, my music." I said turning on the bluetooth and connecting my phone while we were at a red light. I decided to listen to classic rock today, and Caleb groaned sliding down in his seat. "Sit up, if we get into an accident you'll get hurt sitting like that."

He sat up reluctantly and gave me a weird stare. "I will never understand you. Yesterday you were listening to the piano, and today rock. Yesterday it was cats, today it's dogs." He said gesturing to my phone background, which was a picture of a golden retriever puppy sitting in an Easter basket. "I don't get you. It makes my brain hurt trying to figure you out." He said shaking his head.

"Stop trying then." I said parking the car and getting out.

He punched my shoulder affectionately before heading to the doors at the front of the school, while I entered through the side door with the other seniors.

I went to my locker and opened it, grabbing my stuff and then heading to my homeroom. I had my cheek against the desk and my hood over my head as I doodled flowers on my homework, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I sat up and looked up at my homeroom teacher.

"No hoodies in school." He said sternly. I sighed and pulled the hood back off my head. "And it's already been a week, you should be well aware that I do not want to even see a phone in my classroom."

I looked down at my earbud wires and blinked a few times before groaning and rubbing my face. "Sorry sir, I've just been so out of it today, I wasn't even thinking." I said standing up. "I'll go put it them in my locker right away." I said already unplugging my earbuds from my phone and coiling them around my fingers.

I put them in my locker, and as I was on my way, I decided to stop to get a drink of water, I walked towards the Juniors hallways and saw a boy about to drink from a fountain across the hall from me.

There wasn't anyone in the hallway, since the Juniors homeroom had already ended, so I leaped across the hallway and grabbed his shoulders pulling him back. "No!" I said as I lost my footing falling backwards pulling him closer on accident, causing him to fall on top of me.