Chapter Two~An Interview and Chinese Food

*1438 words*

I was behind the counter with the 5 to 7 year olds, while Nia was outside with the older kids playing a game, and Elle was in the other room with the babies. I sat with a shy new kid, Sam, trying to tell him that everyone here is very friendly. All he did was keep crying as he clung to my pant leg.

There was a ring at the front desk. I stoop up and walked over my gaze on the kid connected to my leg, making sure not to hurt him.

Elle spoke into my ear through my ear piece. "Hey, do you want me to get them so you can keep working with Sam?" Elle asked.

"No I got it." I said into my mic.

"Okay." She said her voice sweet.

"Hi. Are you here to pick up?" I asked finally looking up. Oh no. It was the guy from the water fountain. His hair was down, and it was a little longer than shoulder length. His hazel eyes seemed to change color, and looked more green today.

"Um, yeah, but i'm also here for an interview? I'm supposed to ask for Nia?" He said looking a little uncomfortable.

"Okay, i'll grab her for you." I looked down and picked up Sam and rocked on my feet trying to calm his nerves. "Hey, Nia, there's someone here for an interview." I said into the mic.

Sam held out his arms and gasped. "Uncle Ace!" He cried.

"Sam, not yet. I'll get you in a half hour okay? I need to do an interview first. We can go get ice cream afterwards if you behave. How does that sound?" He said sweetly to Sam.

"Okay." Sam pouted crossing his arms.

"Who?" She asked as I heard the backdoor open.

"Um what's your name again?" I asked the boy from my school.

"Oh, uh, it's Ace Wright." He said his hands tucked into the pockets of a leather jacket.

"He said his name is name is Ace." I said to Nia.

"Okay, can you walk him over to the backdoor? I can't leave the kids outside by themselves." She said.

"Yup." I said turning my attention to Ace. "Follow me."

I led him through the mine field of clingy kids, stepping over Lego pieces and coloring books. I walked over to Rachel, who was standing holding the door open. She had long cornrows in her hair that were currently pulled back into a dutch braid.

"Come with me please." She said to Ace holding the door open for him.

"Thank you." He said as he stepped out.

I turned on my heal and set Sam on the ground, sitting criss-cross in from of him.

Sam sat shyly fiddling with the straps of his shoes.

"Hey those are some pretty cool shoes you got." I said. "Mine are pretty cool too you know." They weren't at first, but I had made them cool. They were originally just a pair of plain white vans, but I painted stars on them with glow in the dark paint. "They glow in the dark you know. Just like glow sticks." I said cheerfully.

"They have laces." He said quietly.

"I know pretty cool, right? Do you want to learn how to tie shoes? Then, you'll be able to impress all the kids here with your shoe tying abilities." He nodded sheepishly with a small smile on his face. "Perfect." I said sitting up and putting my foot flat on the ground in front of him. "So, here's how you do it."

A little while later, Ace came back inside with Rachel and all the older kids trailing behind. I heard them talk for a few minutes before they shook hands and Ace walked over to me and Sam.