Mission: Not Falling In Love With Him (17)

Mission: not falling in love with him (17)

It wasn’t until dinner that I saw my father. He came in the room and plopped on the couch closing his eyes. I looked up from the computer I was using and smiled. Just like old times.

“Where were you all day?” I asked.

It took him a minute to answer. “Paperwork.” He said.

“Come on, you can do better than that.” I snorted going back to the computer.

He chuckled but didn’t answer. It was quiet for a few minutes. Then I frowned and leaned on the desk looking at my dad.

“Dad…” he mumbled a hmm so I kept talking. “Where’s Amanda?” he tensed and didn’t answer. A full minute passed when he decided to slowly open his eyes, he leaned on his elbows on his knees and looked at me. I knew something wrong had happened.

“She…” he sighed.

“Just say it. Whatever it is, it can’t be worse than what I’m thinking.”

“While you were out there I sent a team to follow the routes you were most likely to take, but you seem to be smarter than I thought. You came here and Amanda wasn’t with you so I told the units to keep looking because there was one missing.” He sighed rubbing his eyes. “Team 4 passed that area this morning. They found Marc a couple miles away but they didn’t find anyone else.” He looked at me with a frown. 

That couldn’t be…

Amanda and Shane were missing…

How?

I felt a pull in my heart and a tear escaping my eye.

“Honey…”

I stood up and left the room. Okay, only one person could know where they were. If what I was thinking is right this is where his life ends. I ran to the little outdoor cabana and heard Brian’s scream. I pushed the doors open to Brian tied up in a chair, Uncle Mike rubbing his fist. He looked up at me in surprise. I looked back and forth between him and Brian repeatedly. He noticed I was mad and took a step back.

Brian looked up at me and his eyes bulged. I walked up to him and punched him in the face.

“Where are they?” I asked. No way was I leaving this place without answers. He told me he had taken care of Shane and he wasn’t found. If something happened to Shane or Amanda, Brian was disappearing as well.

“Ouch.” Brian said.

I rubbed my face and leveled to his height. “Don’t make me ask again.” when he looked at me his eyes showed so much guilt that I wanted to cry. I didn’t but I kept on staring. He was saying it all through his eyes. And he was paying for it.

“Nathalie, you don’t get it.” he whispered.

“Enlighten me.” I snapped. “Where are they?”

His face twisted in pain and he lowered it. “I can’t.” he said.

I took the broom from the wall and removed the head. Walking up to him I swing it once and he looked up.

"This will do the tick..." i said thoughtfully.

“Nat, please let me explain.” he said urgently but I swing at him and hit his leg. He cried in pain and bit his lip to keep from yelling.

“Talk.” I spat crouching.

Slowly he looked at me with guilt. “I had to. It was them or me.”