Mission: Not Falling In Love With Him (20)

 “You have to make her wake up, doc.” I heard a voice say.

“We’re doing as much as we can, you know that.”

“It’s not enough! She has to wake up!” he shouted—I was sure it was a he. ­

“Calm down, this is doing no good, son.”

I recognized that voice but couldn’t put my finger on it. My heart raced a little faster and I groaned feeling how numb my body was. I heard some gasps and rushed noises a hand pressing on my forehead.

“Nat, can you hear me?” it was the same deep voice. I frowned but didn’t open my eyes remembering everything that had happened. Amanda came first, and then the scary dude with the grin, the fights, even Brian, and at last I remembered Logan.

I sighed and slowly opened my eyes letting them adjust to the brightness of the room. I expected Logan to be the one next to me, but it wasn’t him who was staring as if I was some kind of miracle. It was someone I had almost forgotten. Ryan.

“Gosh, Nathalie, thank god you’re ok!” he said with tears in his eyes. I frowned and said absolutely nothing. Somehow, this just didn’t match. Him being here this close. Last time I checked he was miles away and I was…bleeding. I looked down myself checking if I was ok but strong hands stopped me. It was Ryan again. He looked a little concerned. “You’re ok. You need a lot of rest but you’ll be fine.” He smiled that sweet so loving smile that used to break my heart and make me feel fine, but this time I felt nothing.

I must have been in shock cause that smile could make Cruela melt.

I took a deep breath and finally said, “I don’t know…how you got…here.” It came out more like a question. He chuckled and brushed strands of my hair out of my face.

“Worry about that later. Sleep some more, Nat, you need it.”

I rested my head back feeling the pain in my stomach. It was so much better than I remembered. It all spinned for a minute but when it focused back I knew I couldn’t just sleep. I needed answers. I raised it again maybe a little faster than I should have but Ryan’s back was already to me.

“Where’s dad, and Steve, and that bitch of an ex-friend and Logan? Where’s Logan?” he looked amused at me and shook his head.

“Didn’t you hate the guy?” I went blank. I had, but now, well, he kind of saved my life and put up with all that crap without kidnapping my brother and allying with a dude that might or might not have shot me. He came back next to me regarding my face carefully. “He is fine.” Those three words made almost everything better. “He’s outside with his dad. He doesn’t want to leave, wants to make sure you wake up and everything. You know, he’s not all that bad once he gets past the whole jerk crap thing.”

“You’re rambling, Ryan.” I stated. He looked up guiltily.

“It’s just that I was so worried, Nat. You should have seen yourself a couple days ago.” He looked into nothing with so much pain in his eyes. I flinched because I couldn’t relate to it at all. Not even to the way he must be feeling.

“Couple days?” I asked tentatively.

“They’ve been keeping you out for a while. You were too damaged. They let you off the meds yesterday and you didn’t wake up soon enough.”

I pondered all that in my mind and frowned. He was worried, way too worried.

“I’m fine.” I smiled up at him slightly.