↠ one ↠

g a b r i e l

Trying to smooth down a tuft of my dirty blonde hair that wouldn't stay down, I stood outside of the small worn down shop. The words Jimmys Bait Shop hung on a sign that was leaning forward the ground, and I quickly pushed open the rusted door and entered.

A man on his phone stared at me blandly. "Again kid?" I just shrugged and I reached inside my pockets for the money my mom had given me.

"Two bags please." I said hoarsely. The man curled his lip in disgust as he counted my cash. He reached under the table into a large fruit crate and brought out two backs of white powder.

"Don't snitch or else kid." He threatened. I just nodded, I wasn't that stupid. As I exited, I gave the moldy turquoise wall a glance as I heard the man mutter "Fücked up kids."

Hoping on my rickety red bike, I quickly pedaled my way home to deliver the goods to ma. Coming to the small house, more of a shed, I walked the bike through the small grassy cobblestone path, bugs leaping at from the grass that practically reached my waist.

Leaking the bike on the side of a wall, I pushed the dirty white door open with a few shoves and a grunt. My mother must've heard me, as she quickly showed up in front of me. "Give it over boy." She said, extending her wrinkled hand toward me. I observed her crusty hair and bloodshot eyes, then sighed as I handed her the two bags of cocaine.

"Here you go... ma." She swiftly took them with her long yellow nails and rushed off, most likely to her room. "Use the extra money you leech!" She screeched. Taking out the leftover change, I counted 5 dollars and some leftover coins from the last time I went to get food.

Rummaging around the fridge, the power left a long time ago I came up with some moldy lettuce and a half opened bag of Cheetos. I didn't bother dealing with either, my mother could feed on that. She'd get mad anyway if I ate her hard earned food.

Opening the door again, I sat on my bike and pedaled down the road, going over bumps. It wasn't the best neighborhood, the roads were crumbly, shops were broken down, and having a decent piece of technology was rare. It wasn't uncommon for a sudden gun to shoot out in the middle of the night, and screams were treated as background noise.

Arriving at the little chain of restaurants, I enter the Taco Bell as I chew on my lip. "Could I have a... Beefy Fritos Burrito?" The idle teen behind the counter shrugged, smacked his gum a few times, then turned his head to go into the kitchen. I sat myself down on one of the greasy, broken seats, drumming my fingers on the table as my stomach yowled. It was around noon now, and I hadn't anything to eat all day.

After what seemed like ages, the kid walked back up to the front. "You still want your food?" I nodded and walked down the aisle. Going to the cashier, I handed him the five dollars and he gave me my four dollars in change, wrinkled and crusty. He then set a bag in front of me, the aroma stirring my appetite. "Could I have a drink?" I asked, fingering a dollar. The dude shrugged, then motioned to the wall at my side with a variety of drinks displayed.

"Help yourself. Nobody even pays." he said, handing me a foam cup. I grab my meal and walk over to the drinks, and try to pump myself something. Most of them were empty, but I managed to swish up a mix of fruit-punch flavored juice and the blue powerade.

Walking outside, I sit on a wooden bench outside the Taco Bell and sip my drink as I extract my slightly greasy burrito. Gobbling it down and sucking my fingers, I leave the trash on the bench as I get ready to ride home.

As I neared my house, I noticed two black SUV's and frowned. I walked my bike up to the front door and propped it up, opening the door I had a feeling that something was off. "Ma...?" I called into the quiet darkness. There was a slight coughing sound and I rushed to my mother's room.

My mom lay sprawled on the bed, a half empty bag of cocaine laying next to her. I give a sigh of relief, standing outside her door, but I inch inside. I near her bed, her eyes closed, and she seemed relaxed. I leaned in and suddenly noticed she wasn't breathing. Scrambling back, I let out a loose scream as I reached for the door, when I noticed a large man jump out from the closet and smash me into the ground.

"Say night night little bïtch."