Chapter 27

Karma works in strange ways. Like when you laugh at someone for falling over and then yourself walk into a post?

Or like when you kiss your brothers worst enemy in his mom's diner and then your dad brings you to the exact same place with your brother?

Yep.

Karma.

"Table for 4?" A younger red haired girl blushes at us as we walk into the busy diner, a little different to the last time I was here.

"Yes please" My dad smiles at her and she ushers us through to a booth looking over the lake.

"So, what do you think of this place?" My dad slides into the booth and my mom follows, me and Nathan copy them on the other side.

"It's nice dad" Nathan mumbles while he studies the menu.

"It's really lovely" My mom nods and steals the menu from Nathan in one quick swoop.

I find myself looking just past her towards the diner bar where mine and Alex's interactions were the other night. Karma, Karma, Karma.

I focus back in on my table to find 3 pairs of eyes all on me.

"What?" I find my cheeks heating up.

"What were you looking at dork?" Nathan Laughs and leans back.

"I was just looking ...It's pretty in here" I nodd half answering dads earlier question and nathans.

"Hi Guys, Can i take your order?" That voice. I know that voice.

I look up to find no other than the lovely Mrs Reed.

"Yes, I think we are ready, Ellie?" My dad looks at me which results in Mrs Reed looking at me.

"Oh Ellie! Hello how are you?" Mrs Reed clearly recognizes me and this is something i never wanted.

Karma Karma Karma.

"Hi Carol, I'm great thank you! How are you?" I avoid calling her Mrs Reed - 1 because she asked me not to call her Mrs Reed and 2 because if i said that Nathan would wonder how I know her.

"I'm Good dear, What would you like? Nutella pancakes and a strawberry milkshake?" She gives me a knowing smile and I nod.

As she takes moms order i can feel both my dad's and nathan's eyes on me and I cannot decide which one i'd rather avoid.

***

"The food here is scrummy" My mom smiles and licks her lips to get rid of any left over syrup from her pancakes.

"I agree" I smile and look over at Carol who is serving somebody.

"Fancy a walk about?" My dad looks at us all in question and we all agree.

***

Mom and Dad are like teens.

Happier than ever and feeding the ducks down on the sand below while me and Nathan stay up by the diner.

"So, how do you know her?" Nathan motions to the diner and i know he is referencing to Carol.

"She owns the Diner, I have been here once before with Mia" I look at him before looking at the lake again.

" I see" Nathan goes silent for a few seconds before continuing "You know that she is Alex Reed's Mom?" He seems to be telling me matter of factually instead of being suspicious so i go along with it.

"You know i thought she looked familiar" I nod.

Why would i notice someone who looks like Alex? Ugh!!!

May as well dig my own grave now!

"Yeah she has owned this place for ages but I've not been until now." He laughs and i wonder what at until i look forward.

Mum and dad are tackling each other by the water attempting to get one or the other into the water.

Nathan nudges me and i don't have to look at him to know what he is thinking.

We both run forward tackling dad, Nathan takes the lead pushing him further into the water.

I laugh and turn from them to avoid any splashes and my eyes dart back to the truck which has just pulled up at the diner.

A truck I know too well.

Ignore it Ellie.

I turn back to my family with a over the top laugh as to my shock Nathan is now drenched from head to toe.

I wrap my arms around my Mom who is also laughing at the two males in our family who are now skimming stones but i can not help but feel I am being watched.

I don't want to turn around this is too risky. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket not once, not twice but three times. It has to be him.

I am about to grab my phone but my dad challenges us all to a stone throwing competition. I step forward picking up a decent size stone from the ground.

Nathan goes first setting the bar. My dad throws second hitting just lower than Nathans. I take my turn and it results in a laugh from all of my family as i don't even make it half way to my Dad or Nathans.
My Mom throws last and makes it between mine and my dads.

"Well we can tell which one is the basketball player" Mom laughs out as she walks back to the car park hand in hand with Dad.

I laugh as I scan the car park. Nathan is next to me texting on his phone. Too close for me to get my phone out in front of him.

"Right let's get home." Dad unlocks the car with his key and just as i look up when opening the car door my eyes are met by Alex's as he brings out the trash from the side door.

He gives a small smirk before nudging his cap further to cover his eyes.

That guy.

Before I know it we are back on the road home. Due to the angle I am at I can check my phone.

I spy with my Alex Eye

Something beginning with

El.

I laugh at the cheesiness and use of wording in the three text messages he sends me.

I sent him back a simple monkey covering eyes emoji before locking my phone and watching as we come back into our neighbourhood.

_____

A/N - Short but sweet filler chapter