Chapter 29

The court is almost empty now, Mom and Dad have both gone back home and Mia has gone with the other cheerleaders to celebrate their first dance and then are meeting everyone else and as much as she tried to beg me to go with them I just want to go home.

Standing on the court I look up at the basket and I find myself bouncing a basketball, I shoot it up but it hits the edge and falls away from the basket.

Mom and Dad offered me a drive home but I wanted to wait for Nathan because we discussed earlier he is coming home to get changed before going back out so I know I will get a lift.

In the back of my head I know it is not Nathan I am waiting for and as if  like magic the doors to the changing rooms open and out walks Alex.

He has his earphones in and is heading straight for the exit so with the ball in my hand I throw it with all my might and even though it doesn't hit him it rolls by him and it catches his attention.

He removes his earphones and his eyes lock on mine and it is different to normal. He looks mad.

It must be the fight he had.

"Not now Ellie" He shakes his head at his words and puts his earphones back in.

Why is he being like this with me I haven't done anything.

I find myself running in front of him and turning to face him.

"What?" He snaps at me at the same time as taking one of his earphones out and it stings like he just punched me in the face.

"I want to know you're okay" I find myself with my hand on his chest in a sense to stop him walking.

"Ellie just go away, okay? Stop pretending that this is something" He gestures between me and him and I can almost see a smirk on his face.

Before I can find my words he continues.

"Just leave it, I can't deal with your jackass of a brother on my case"

And just like that he walks past me and he is gone. I look to where he walks out and i can see him run his hands through his hair before kicking the door open onto the exit.

As i watch him I feel a tear run down my face. It was all a lie?

I look to the ceiling and wipe my face before turning back and siting on the bench waiting for Nathan.

How can Alex just change so quickly.

Recapping over his words he mentions my brother. It must be due to the fight. The fight is the reason Alex is riled up but he wouldn't say those things if he didn't mean to.

I find myself picking the nail varnish from my nail beds but when Nathan walks through the door i use my drama lessons and acting skills to the maximum.

He looks knackered but proud. I am proud of him I run up to him and give him a hug.

"Hi Dork" Nathan grins down at me and I smile back.

"You did so well!" I grin and hook my arm into his as we walk out .

"Let's get you home, I've got a party to get to" He laughs.

As we walk out the door I see the familiar motorbike just leaving the parking lot.

I am so hurt because of what Alex said and I know that he was mad prior to seeing me but what he said wasn't expected. As Nathan pulls up to the drive I see my Mom and Dad at the door grinning at us.

I climb out of Alex's car and up the porch I give them both a hug and explain that I am tired before going upstairs to my room.

I know I shouldn't be thinking about Alex but something isn't adding up but then again his words are haunting me.