Chapter 17

'Khushi bitiya', she heard the most unexpected voice. She was startled. Was she hallucinating or the person is really here? She slowly got up and turned to see who it was to get a shock of her life.

Mami was standing there with her eyes glistened. Her way of addressing Khushi rather than Phati sari was itself a shock to Khushi.

Khushi's eyes widened. One look at her and she knew Mami had heard everything. Or rather saw everything. Will she be misunderstood again? Does she have to give a test of her innocence again? Is there no end to her miseries? Mami already dint like her much. Will she be put to questions again? Khushi thought inwardly, 'Goddess Sita had to give the test of her purity only once in her life. But she, was doing it all her life'.

Khushi was determined. Come what may! She is not here to prove herself each and every time. It was time to bounce back. It was time to stand for herself. With firm resolution, she looked into Mami's eyes to answer her back for everything that she was going to be accused to. But then one look at Mami, she was bemused. Mami's eyes held compassion. They held warmth and pity. Was it for her? She wondered. She waited patiently for Mami to speak up.

Analysing Khushi's expressions that turned from fear to resolve to wonder, Mami tenderly grabbed Khushi's hand, asking her to follow her. She took her to her room and locked the door making sure no one was around.

Khushi was bewildered. What was going on? She waited for Mami to say something. Mami said in a steely tone, 'I have seen everything that happened downstairs right from the beginning when you were not even aware of daamadji's presence'.

Though she looked serious, her voice held confusion, compassion and all the above sympathy for the soul in front of her. Mami knew there was no fault of Khushi. She had heard every sentence uttered by both Shyam and Khushi.

Mami was roaming near the kitchen with her famous butterfly walk when she saw Khushi entering inside it. She dint hate the Gupta girls nor she liked them. She had qualms with them due to their middle class status. She never liked Khushi the most out of the two. Just because she made a place in her sasuma's heart very easily.

She was about to enter into the kitchen to specifically taunt Khushi, when she saw Shyam approaching her. Though she was naive, she could see the expressions of his face. They were of pure lust. She was taken aback. She was doubtful still because as far she knew, their damaad was a gem of a person.

The next she heard was their conversation and she was clear, Shyam truly had bad eyes on her. Though she hated Khushi, that does not mean she would be silent. She too was a woman. When she thought of intervening and stop that bastard from advancing more towards her, Arnav had arrived and she was relieved. But Arnav knowing Shyam's truth was another surprise to her. There were many questions. She needed answers. She felt bad for Khushi. But she was the only one who could enlighten her. Arnav would anyway not reveal anything. Moreover she dared not to ask him about it. She saw Arnav leaving the house. That was the time for explanations. She rushed to Arshi's room only to find Khushi in the most vulnerable state.

Khushi was sitting on the couch while Manorama silently handed her a glass of water which she accepted. Manorama started, 'Can you explain what I saw there in the kitchen?'
Khushi dint know where to start. But she had to tell her everything. She dint want another person's distrust anymore. She has seen what happens when you hide things. She blurted the whole truth of Shyam till the recent progress in collecting proofs, hiding the truth of her contract marriage. She never felt comfortable discussing that topic with anyone. Manorama was an open book always. That moment, she sat still. No movement. She was taking her own time to absorb things.

Khushi was eager for her response. She feared and silently prayed to DM to make Mami trust her. And it did happen.

Mami gave her a subtle smile and said, 'I believe you'.