Chapter 40

It was time for Khushi to bid bye to the Raizadas and go home. To her place, in Lakshmi Nagar. Payash accompanied her.

It was very late in the night when Arnav entered Anjali's room to talk to her. Since the revelation, she did not speak a single word and he knew she was beyond hurt. But he also took it upon himself to clear everything!

When he entered the room, there was no trace of Anjali, but her daughter was lying down in the crib, wide awake, opening and closing her eyes, probably taking a look at her surroundings. He found her waving her arms and legs in the air and seemed as if the newborn was enjoying herself.

Arnav neared her, a sense of satisfaction and warmth spreading through him, as he finally managed to bring his Di's child to this world without any danger to the mother and daughter.

It had been few days since she was born and he did not get enough time to spend with her. His niece! His cute little niece!

Arnav did not know when he fell in love with the kid, but his hatred towards kids in general seemed to vanish now. After this cute bundle of joy, his perceptions were changing rapidly.

But where was Di? He mused.

He ran his fingers through the hairs of the girl and gave a soft peck on her forehead, silently promising her to protect her till eternity.

The next moment Arnav stood surprised to see the baby holding his right hand's index finger tightly. He smiled at her and could not resist himself from taking her in his arms.

This was how Anjali found Arnav when she entered her room with her Nani. Both stood admiring their Chote bonding with the child and did not want to interrupt his moments with his niece. It was rare to find them. Isn't it?

Arnav noticed his Di and Nani standing at the doorstep and he was not naive to not gauge the quick change of expressions on their faces. They both went back to their stern modes.

Slowly placing the child in its crib, Arnav waited for Anjali and Nani to enter and talk whatever went in his mind.

He saw Nani ignoring him totally and Anjali too did the same, their attention fully on the newborn!

'Di', he started and Anjali stilled, stopping whatever she was doing.

He approached them skeptically and taking both their hands in his, he spoke with utter sincerity.

'Nani, Di, I know I have failed you. Please give me some punishment. Scold me, beat me but just dont stay mum. I cannot bear this silence from you', He admitted, his words choking.

'I do not deserve to be forgiven. But I am sorry. I am really really sorry'.

'Your sorry wont bring back her life she lost Arnav!' Anjali snapped.

'I know Di. And I promise to never let a drop of tear fall from her eyes', Arnav then turned towards Nani, 'Nani, please forgive me. I am not like my father. I am never like him. I know, I behaved rudely, but never ever I wanted to become him. I am Mumma's Chote and would always remain so. I do not know what had gotten into my mind when I forced her. I just thought about Di and did not want to witness another heartbreak. I was scared that I would lose Di just like Maa', Arnav cried.

Nani felt a pang in her heart for even comparing Arnav with his father. But she could not help it. His deed infuriated her when he confessed. But Anjali paid no heed to it. She was still very angry on him.

'You cannot compare Maa with me and justify your mistakes Arnav', roared Anjali.

'Yes, my daughter did not think about her children and took her life but Anjali bitiya was not so weak to make you go through all that you both had to tolerate', Nani said.